question about routers

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cujo, May 29, 2008.

1. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was wondering if it was possible to hook 2 routers up to one modem.... the other day my router crapped out on me so i had to get a linksys-n router so my mom can use it for work but it's not compatable with xbox live so i was going to get a 2nd x box live compatible router and use it just for my xbox....... would it work or would i need to get a 2nd modem to run the 2nd router

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You need a wired router. Run it directly from the modem, then run the wireless routers off of it.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Before buying a 2nd router, what's the compatibility issues with X-Box Live?

It just might need to be configured properly to have X-Box live work

4. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there is a lisk of routers that works with xbox live and they are all g-routers the one i have is a n-routera nd i've tried everything and it still wont work

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Probably needs ports opened, that he can't open.

As far as connecting a router to another one, I've seen it done. It just sucks troubleshooting when they get out of sync with each other. Hell, I've seen people with Vonage connect a second router to their Vonage router. Then they call in and complain.

Them: "My internetz don't work"
    Me: "But you still have phone service"
    Them: "Yeah, so?"
    Me: "Then the internet service is working. He's the number for (enter name of router manufacturer choice here)"

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    at my house i have a linksys setup. got a main router, one router wired to it and a wireless (which i am on right now) and works without hassle. plug and play at its finest.
    and if i remember the manual, i should have room for 2 more down the road.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3504719 First you'll need this (though they have an older brand, for a lot cheaper. At my store, at least.)

Second, you'll need to run the modem (cable or DSL, whichever one you use) directly into the wired router via ethernet cable.

Third, You'll notice, of course, that there are 4-5 ports on each wired router for direct ethernet connections. (one for internet inward, four for direct connection outward.) Pick the INTERNET port on the back of your wireless router, and your Mother's. Run an ethernet cable from the wired router to both of the wireless routers.

Fourth, Make sure everything is connected correctly, and start surfing, download, whatever.

The signal will be split (just like a cable splitter) but it will work, it will send the signal via cable to the wireless routers, and they, in turn will do their job wirelessly just as they are now. Because it's being split, then split again, there's a good chance you'll see a slight dip in overall speed, but it should be negligible.

If it were me, I'd do it. It's easy, quick and affordable. (far more affordable than buying a Microsoft wireless adapter. If they even make one.)

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    You can configure an 802.11n router to work in compatibility mode so that it works with 802.11g networks.