Question about repairing Masterpiece Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Today I managed to crack the joint on the right wing of my USA edition MP Starscream, you know the one with the screw in which the wing swivels out of the way!!!, my question is, what would be the easiest way to repair this, I've tried the superglue thing but, everytime i try to put the wing back in the whole thing cracks up again (incidentally, i 'm going to try it one more time and let the wing dry overnight, maybe that'll do the trick).
    Any help will be appreciated guys, thanks.

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I'd check the junkion forums to see if you can buy a new part or something. I doubt trying to fix that little piece is going to get you anywhere.

3. Viper08

News Credits:
    well the part works fine there is one big crack but the wing swivels pretty good, i guess ijust gotta be more gentle with it, let's see that the superglue does tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

4. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

If it's the sort of thing that glue can fix....epoxy might be a better bet, as it can withstand more torsion than CA glues. mix up some 90-second epoxy and drip a bit of it into the joint, see if that doesn't hold it more securely...and yeah, I don't think there's any choice at this point EXCEPT to be very careful with it.

5. Viper08

News Credits:
    Hey ShadowStitch, well I already had put a tiny bit of superglue in it, if that doesn't work, what'll be the best way to clean the superglue away?
    Thans for the help.

6. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    paint thinner will remove superglue, but beware not to let it destroy the toy's plastic around it by applying the paint thinner with a cotton bud.

7. Viper08

News Credits:
    UPDATE:

I managed to fix the crack using Testors's Platic liquid cement, since it evaporates and "melts" the two pieces together (thus not leaving a third compund in the middle of the crack, plastic on plastic if you will) all i had to do after that was to file the inside of the joint by a few mms and now it fits perfectly and the crack doesn't reopen whenever I move the wing.
    Thanks for the help guys.