Customs: Question about removing paint.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MasterOfPuppets, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Would soaking a small piece of plastic in a little cup of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% USP damage or corrode the plastic at all?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and it didn't do anything to the plastic...

3. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    I soak my parts that I want to remove paint from (Skids windows) from isoprophyl alcohol strait from the bottle with no ill effects.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the 91% will damage the plastic, but only if you leave it in for a ridiculous amount of time, like overnight and longer.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Will 70% damage it if left overnight?

And after soaking to I just scrub it off with like a toothbrush or can I just easily wipe it off with say a q-tip?

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    depends on the type of paint, and how thick the paint is.. nothing wrong with trying a Q-tip first though. I don't know about the 70%, I've only used 91.. the price is nearly the same, yet with 91% I know it'll be a lot more effective. usually you only need to soak a part for a couple hours to get the job done.

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    sweet this thread was very helpful

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used 70% on my first attempt at my Skyblast LoC with the crappy paint, and 20 minutes of soaking was enough to get most of the paint off. Had to kinda scrape it off gently though, but after reading this I'll give it another go and let it sit longer. I think I got time confused between dying and paint removing. :p 

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, I strip the paint in a 50/50 mix of 90% Isopropyl and 71% isopropyl, for an overall 80.5% concentration.

The alcohol shouldn't hurt the plastic. I've had figures in this mix for as long as three days for tough paint apps, with no damage resulting. However, you should strip out as many screws and pins and rivets as possible. I've never had the alcohol lead to corrosion on any pins or rivets, but I have had it cause screws to become near-instant rustpiles upon removal and rinsing. I think the pins and rivets are made of a different metal than the screws.

On a side note, Scrapmetal's paint is INCREDIBLY tough. I was trying to strip four of these. One ONE force chip, the paint came off pretty easily with a few hours alcohol soak, but the other three chips wouldn't strip without incredible effort even after three days. Or rather, the silver wouldn't. The Decepticon emblems stripped clean and easy. The key codes also seem nearly invincible. Likewise, after three days soak, I could only manage to get most of the paint off ONE figure's cockpit area, the others were still quite solid and resistant. I couldn't even scratch the tampo-emblems on all four, nor could I make any decent progress on the leg, driver/pounder bits, or the cannon strips. Wierd.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

That silver paint they use on the force chips is absolutely incredible. I wish I could find some paint that tough to use in my airbrush. I soaked a force chip in Castrol Super Clean Degreaser, known for ripping paint off of anything in minutes, for FOUR DAYS, then scrubbed the HELL out of it with a hard-bristle toothbrush and it didn't come off. Oh, the chome bit dropped off within minutes, but that silver paint was NOT coming off. I had tried rubbing alcohol (91%) before with no results.

Oddly enough, in frustration I tried rubbing alcohol after it had dried out from the Castrol Super Clean and rubbed with my thumb and it started to come clean. Slowly. So there must be some sort of chemical breakdown that happened after the four day soak, but it wasn't enough on its own to do the job.

(BTW, if you use Super Clean for anything, wear rubber gloves. That stuff will eat your skin like it's not even there.)