Customs: Question About Removing Paint Apps with Alcohol

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nefud, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I've been soaking a Classics Jetfire in isopropyl alcohol for 24 hours, and the red paint apps just don't seem to be coming off. Is there a different solvent I should be using? Should I just keep waiting?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

What % is the alcohol (90% works best)? Also, it helps if you rub the red away with a cotton ball soaked in the stuff. A little bit of elbow grease helps strip the paint.

3. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I believe it's 70%. I've removed factory paint apps from a fair number of toys in the past, and 70% has worked well so far. I'm not opposed to going back to the store for 90% if that's essential.

I have definitely tried scrubbing with a cotton ball-- the black apps came off, but the red is hanging on like crazy (not even smearing).

I'm a big fan of your work, by the way, thanks for taking the time to help.

4. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

5. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that thread is a nightmare. Thanks for the crash course. Honestly, I planned on painting over almost everywhere there are red paint apps, I was just hoping for a clean substrate for the paint to adhere to. I would definitely rather just paint over than try a bunch of different solvents with questionable results.

6. Quantum25

Yeah it kind of is, not looking forward when I customize my Prime but I digress.

However, if you're just looking to make a better surface for paint to adhere to, a good sanding and a coat or two of primer would most likely be good place to start.

7. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Jetfire has so much great, small detail that I'd be afraid of losing it. I'll probably just stick to acrylics unless something goes wrong.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You could try using paint thinner. Soak it briefly (a few minutes) and try scrubbing the paint apps with a toothbrush.

9. Quantum25

True. Then again I've seen this technique done with gunpla models and macross valkyries with great success (an awesome benefit of spray painting/air brushing), but I can understand your fear of losing those details.

I've also seen some wonderfully done repaints of the Jetfire mold by several talented people in the radicons forum and I'm pretty sure they won't mind if you ask them for a couple of tips and pointers.

Other than that, best of luck with the project. :thumb 

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Thanks. And thanks again to both of you for your input. I'm sure it'll turn out great. The Jetfire body is a breeze compared to the head that'll be attached to it. Keep your eyes peeled for a thread in the Radicons forum in the next week or so. :) 

11. Quantum25

Nice. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

And if this helps, here's an example of one of those Jetfires I mention: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/236292-jetfire-vf-1s.html

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Some paints are tougher than others. I had the same issue with my Henkei Cliff custom. I soaked the roof/windshield piece separately in 70% alcohol to get the paint off. The red came off just fine, but the silver stuck. I ended up having to dip a toothbrush into 91% alcohol (which got the silver off of the other parts), and scrub the paint off.

13. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

I run into this problem with tf's alot, it will take alittle longer depending on the percentage of it and a little elbow grease the paint will come off =)

14. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    90% works better, the paint comes off more faster than the 70%.