Question about refresh rate of LCD tv?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Nov 15, 2010.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So they wife and I are looking at getting a new HDTV this holiday season. Here's my question (it's actually 2 parts)

1) Are Plasma TV's still a no-go for console gamers? I know for a while people were saying that you should play consoles on plasmas because of something about the screen not playing well or something...

2) How important is the refresh rate? I notice the 60Hz ones are significantly cheaper than 120HZ LCDs. I don't game a LOT or hardcore, but I don't want to finally upgrade to a nice TV, and then half of my games look like crap, or it won't play Blu-Ray well, or something...

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Get 120hz or higher if you can.
    Plasma's will work, but there is some danger of burn-in on static images.
    It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still there.
    And if you had bright images and then dark images you will see a 'ghost' of the bright image -it's not permanent, but it is there.

But, I would say get an LED TV over anything else.
    LEDs are awesome.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Are there many current 60hz TV's still on the market? The higher the refresh rate, the better your moving image will look. Though, your eye will be hard press to discern between a 120hz or above image. But there is a noticeable difference between 60hz and 120hz.

Though, the much more important number is pixel response time. The lower that number, the better. Pixel response time shouldn't really be higher than 2ms (mili-seconds). Higher numbers there will result in image blurring, especially during fast moving scenes (like sports, action movies, etc.).

4. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

I have a Sony Bravia 52" 240 Hz and I was not impressed with the motion flow technology of the bravia 3 engine. Granted its better than my old 55" at 60hz, but I wasn't overly impressed with 240, so I would say for the money stay with a 120hz until they get more into 480hz+.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Actually, I think you should be able to switch off the motion flow technology (also known as smooth motion, true motion, etc. depending on the manufacturer). The motion smoothing technologies are hit and miss. What they basically do is blend and create new frames between every existing frame. It gives the image a hauntingly life-like image akin to watching the news. Some people love it, some people don't, but it can be switched off in your menu.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thank you all for the input! Will file it away for shopping info! :) 

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. It works for some things and not so much others (I watched SAW with it, and it looked like SAW was a BBC special, which kinda took away from the movie). But in movies like UP, Clone Wars, and WALL-E, it looks pretty amazing. It also helps with certain video games, and gives the illusion that a game is running at a smoother framerate.

8. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

Sony's MF is great for blu-ray and high quality video source, but standard HD cable at 1080i is not so great. Now for conversation sake I love sony, been a fanboy for years, I'm just stating for the OP not to buy into the hype all the time.

Another thing to remember is that in store display's are setup different than when you get the TV home. Especially with the new Sony Bravia, once I got mine out of the box and went through setup it had a selection menu- store or home. Basically they burn the bulb brighter for in store, but you get the idea.

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, you never want to set your tv's up like the store displays. you'll blow through your bulb in half the time that you should. There are both online and disc based setup guides available.