Question about Pepsi Prime from the 80's

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cortexitron, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

So my folks were out antiqueing the other day and called me about a G1 Optimus that they found. It was in great shape but had these Pepsi stickers on the sides. They thought it was just something that was done to make it fit in the "Pepsi" collection in the booth. The stickers were in bad shape, all dry an brittle, but for seven dollars and fifty cents I told them to bring it home. It was all by itself, no decals or accessories, but it was in fantastic shape. I don't think it had ever been transformed.

But after seeing the trailer, I had some doubts that it was an actual Pepsi Prime. The stickers look to be the right size, but they say Pepsi-Cola on them, not just PEPSI. Does anyone know if there were any variants to the stickers besides the Canadian one that was the size of the whole trailer? I'd like to know if I should try to salvage these stickers, or take them off and clean up the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.

2. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a thread over on the Ozformers (OTCA) forums page from 2009 that mentions this same thing.

G1 US Pepsi Prime - Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

I registered on the board to check out the thumbnails, but I'm unable to see the full-size versions for some reason.

From what I gather from the conversation there, a "Pepsi Cola" sticker variant does exist (actual vintage - not repro labels), in addition to the U.S. "Pepsi logo" and Canadian trailer-length Pepsi logo stickers.

Not much else to go on...Google didn't really turn up anything either. But, if I were you, I'd keep just like it is. Do not remove the stickers.

MIKE
    engledogg

3. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

i heard that only a very few Pepsi-Cola primes were made, as it was going through a brand recognition change at the same time. The logo was updated.

This is only the second time i've ever heard of one being found. You can find reprostickers for them on e-bay, but if yours are dry and brittle, you probably have the original.

can i see a pic?? I'd love to see what one really looks like.

4. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    7.50 for any g1 prime is an awesome deal. This sounds like a fantastic find. A picture of it like stilettoheels would be great.

5. Cortexitron

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try to get a picture up soon. I think I might even have to contact the antique mall and see if I can get the sellers phone number. Maybe I can get the info of where it came from right from them. I'm guessing this thing was taken out of the box, the Pepsi stickers were applied, and it got put on a shelf with the rest of the collection. Heck, maybe they still have the box at home. I'm not holding my breathe, but that would be awesome...

6. Cortexitron

So here's a couple shots of the truck itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Also, here's a shot of the trailer with my personal childhood Prime trailer. Can anyone tell my why there are so many more rectangular holes in the side of the one on the right?? There seems to be a piece of aluminum visible through them, so I'm guessing it's the metal plate version. There's even different writing on the bottom of each near where it hooks to the cab... The one on the right says:

TAKARA CO.. LTD.
    JAPAN 1980 1982

The Pepsi trailer says:

HASBRO
    1980 1982
    (some japanese characters)
    TAKARA CO.. LTD.
    1980 1982 JAPAN

[​IMG][/IMG]

Just curious what the difference is...

Thanks again for the history lesson!!

7. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    My memory is a bit shaky but i bought a MISB Pepsi Prime from a Canadian Seller many years ago (long since sold on), and i'm fairly sure the unused Pepsi sticker on the top said Pepsi COLA.

8. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

YUP. Thats the real deal. The reproduction stickers have GREEN on the outside of that black line.

the trailer with the extra hols is a cary over from Diaclone, where they had the metal plates.

Congrats dude, you have a VERY VERY little known piece of prime history, and photo proof to back it up.

99% of collectors don't even know this variant exists.

Envy muchly!!! :p 

9. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Now that's just Prime! Very luck find man!

10. Cortexitron

Thanks for the help everyone, I wasn't sure it was authentic becasue I could never find any other pictures of one. I'm sure glad my Dad gave me a call to see if I wanted it... Best $8 dollars I ever spent!!

11. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I kick my self every time I hear about one of these. I had an uncle who pretty much ran the Pepsi distributions center in our area and I had to have received atleast 3 of those things as gifts as a kid. Guess they where just layin around the ware house and when a birthday or Christmas would come around he'd just pick one up. Ah, regrets.

12. Xeres33

Xeres33 New Member

alright so i got a misb pepsi prime on ebay for 500.00 i thought pretty good deal. i am looking at other pepsi primes on ebay and i realized that the one i have is a little different. so i am no expert on pepsi primes. i am looking at the corner of all these other primes and there is a sticker there on their misb pepsi ops. mine has where the decal was showing how to apply the sticker but not sticker. i thought maybe the sticker was on the inside. i am thinking i got ripped off cause there is no sticker. any suggestions or advice?

13. Cortexitron

The stickers should be in that packet glued to the corner of the box. Have you checked inside the box at all?? If the stickers aren't there, I would ask the seller about it. Just because it's a prime in a Pepsi box doesn't mean it's a Pepsi Prime. But make sure to check inside the box thoroughly before accusing the seller of scamming you. Hopefully they're just tucked away inside for safe keeping...

14. HarryTasker

HarryTasker New Member

Are these still desirable? I have a G1 Pepsi optimus from when I was a kid, in box, but one sticker is scrapped off about a quarter of the way because I was upset when my father got fired from Alpac a Pepsi distributor.