Question about Pat Lee(please don't hurt me)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Heartagram28, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Heartagram28

Heartagram28 Soundwave owns!

I've been out of comics for some time now, I heard about the demize of Dreamwave, but that was it, I've never heard what happened....either it's a big secret or people just want to forget about it. Can someone elaborate as to what happened, I mean last I heard about DW was when they were gonna do the Ninja Turtles, that's how out of it I am, LOL. Replies are appreciated. :dunce 

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

They did a TMNT comic and it failed. Just like the Megaman comic failed. Fate of the Blade failed. Darkminds also failed.

Every
    Book
    Failed.

Except transformers. And the only reason that went on was because the fanbase is so loyal that they buy crap. The IDW stuff really isn't that good and yet still gets bought. So DW was surviving on Transformers alone. They had Energon, G1, and a host of Miniseries.

Eventually though, a company cannot stay afloat on one property. The company was sucking up more money than it was making. Artists were not getting paid. Writers were not getting paid. Thus the people stopped working and the company went under. A joint lawsuit was filed by the DW staff against Pat and Roger Lee. Nothing ever happened.

And a nice tidbt. Somewhere out there are the pencils of DW TF #12 by Guido Guidi. Simon Furman also has the scripts for War Within, Energon, and Universe. And I believe Brad Mick has his scripts as well.

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamwave

Contained within this article is bare outline of what happened to Dreamwave. The last paragraph in "History" is the most pertinent. The whole thing stank because Roger and Pat Lee just walked away from the mess with seemingly no loss to the themselves, whilst the artists never got paid.

Here's a list of creditors, it makes interesting reading:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2102

4. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

On a related note, Comicbookresources.com had their recent LITG Rumor Awards. Pat Lee got slammed not just once, but twice.

Visual of the Year
    Not Paying Award
    At this point, I think the only person more hated in the comic book industry is Byrne.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Rob Liefeld

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Liefeld I love to hate.

Lee I just hate.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I like Byrne. As I once heard someone else say, he's the Grampa Simpson of comic books. :lol 

8. Caterwaul

I dont HATE Liefeld. I just think he's a hack of an artist. Byrne and Lee? I hate them. Byrne more then Lee.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I just read up on Byrne's wiki. The guy's very outspoken and opinionated, but at least he still does his job well. Lee has to have others do it for him now.

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Liefeld isn't really hated so much as his -art- is hated (and moreso mocked, I find).

Byrne's outright pissed people off in regards to all kinds of things unrelated to his art, and Lee's outright pissed people off period. :D 

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It'd be neat if Simon and Alex and co., once the Dreamwave litigation finishes up, made some of those scripts and pictures public. Or, if nothing else, marketed/sold them.

12. Caterwaul

To quote some of his choicer comments

And talking about Steve Irwin...
    Pat Lee may have been an ass, but Byrne takes it to a new level.

13. Wreckgar

Byrne is a dick and very outspoken. Then when called on it, he gets even more outspoken. It's so disgustingly funny.. I find it funny that Nelson had to "redraw" pages from Action Comics a little while ago because they were all misproportioned.

Liefeld isn't hated correctly. People don't like his art so they hate the guy. I don't like him for up and leaving Heroes Reborn in the middle of the story but after meeting him , Ican't stay mad. He's a very nice guy and good to the fans. His art just sucks sometimes. But he has gotten better. He can now draw feet.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    In all fairness, I'm pretty sure he was kicked off HR, he didn't leave of his own volition.

15. Caterwaul

That's what I'm talking about. Liefeld is hated because of his art, people dont necessarily hate him directly. I might wonder why he still gets work in the comic industry, but I dont hate the guy personally.

Byrne and Lee? They're hated cause they're assholes.

16. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Here are my 2 cents to this whole hate-party we're having here...

All three men have HUGE EGOS. Liefeld can't draw and has a huge ego. Byrne can draw, has a huge ego and has lost his mind. Lee can or can't draw, pays other folks to finish his artwork, has a huge ego and doesn't pay his employees.

Lee has done the most damage to Transformers and to comic book writers and artists but at least he keeps himself out of the public spotlight (very smart move on his part). Liefeld is just annoying but you can sort of ignore him (even he has gotten better at avoiding the spotlight or maybe no one pays attention to him anymore). Bryne is a hateful man, a hate plague.

I generally don't like speaking ill of people or celebrities or creators but... ugh, I cannot stand these three guys. Especially Byrne. That man really needs to just shut up and mature a little. He's ridiculous...

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really like the IDW stuff. Its not all greatness, but I would say it has all been good. (Though the Nightbeat artwork was -I dunno, off.)

But, I do kind of agree with you on the fans putting up with subpar material.
    I bought every issue of the Micromasters and that was awful.

The art -everything.
    "Yo, Micro!"
    "'Sup, Micro"
    :yuck 

18. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

I've read it all since, but originally gave up around the Sunstorm plot device.

The IDW core books are the only official material I've really enjoyed (apart from bits of War Within) since the US G2 comic.

19. Wreckgar

Nope, he left to do that "Fighting American" book which was blatantly a Cap ripoff.

20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

No, I think he was kicked off the book because he was contractually obligated to sell X number of books a month and when he failed that, he got booted and replaced. Either that or he was late in publishing the book. Either way, I am very sure that he broke his contract and got booted for it.

Later on he made "Fighting American" with his unused Cap AM ideas. Marvel sued him, so he couldn't publish the book. So he bought an old Captain America-like comic book character and used that instead. But the funny thing is that, his comic book character (that he bought) could get published but the character couldn't throw his shield like Cap. His character was LEGALLY DENIED THE ABILITY TO THROW HIS SHIELD. HA.

All of this is on Liefeld's wikipedia page. Unless Liefeld re-wrote his entry to sound better. I'm too lazy to re-read it right now.