Customs: Question about painting and temperature

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ORIO, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, most of my painting is going to have to be done outside. I live in an apartment so spraying indoors is no bueno.

New Mexico is very hot in the summer but its dry.

And winter is pretty damn cold.

What are some tips for painting in these temps?

2. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me go on to say that I was lookin' to paint today and its freakin' snowing.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah...stupid snow...it looks like its stopping...i was really hoping they'd cancel school today so i could go home...and hopefully by january we can use my garage to paint...we'll just need to buy a little space heater...

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cold temps can have drastic effects on painting, but where you are shouldn't hurt it too much. Read the label on whatever you're using and if you're outside the recommended temperature, I'd wait. Depending on how cold it is, spraypaint can harden before it hits the surface, resulting in bumps. Cold tends to thicken up paint consistency, while at the same time increasing dry time.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    most spray cans say not to use under 60 degrees or so. If you have to paint outdoors and it's below that, just spray it on and then immediately bring the parts inside to dry. They'll still give off a slight smell, but the fumes everyone worries about it mostly during actual spraying.

6. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool! Thanks for the help! What about when summer comes about and we have the dry heat? Is that more or less, ideal for paint drying?

7. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think dry heat is going to be ideal. Just be sure to check the instructions, it could get too hot.

If you do decide to paint inside, be sure to invest in a proper respirator, and make sure it is in a well ventilated place (and that it doesn't ventilate into another part of the building!)

8. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool thanks :thumb 

9. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Do you heat up the can in some warm water before you spray?

10. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

ugh, ya the winter really hurts me also.. i live in NYC and i do most of my spraying for paints outside on the roof.. but ya.. its winter! lol. and this winter in the city is retarded cuz one day its like 70degrees.. and sunny, the next day its 30 degrees and its raining and snowing..

i can hand paint when im home but eventually imma have to wait to seal it outside... so decemberjanuary is basically a slow/break season for me in customizing =P

11. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Retardicon

Most spray paints can be sprayed in low temperatures, it doesn't drastically affect the mixture. Low temperatures will, however affect curing time. Humidity is also a factor in both instances.
    Ideally you want a dry environment for spraying, and a warm environment for curing (drying) of paint. Without getting too technical you can spray outdoors as long as it's dry, and dry indoors if the room temperature is around or above 65 degrees farenheit. If it's much colder, you'll want to add a few hours before handling painted pieces.
    You can also use a heat lamp bulb, like for a reptile aquarium to help drying or curing times, but beware of blistering with enamel paints if they get too hot or haven't bonded properly.
    Different paints have different conditions, so check the label.

Hope this helps.