Question about outsiders and your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by seeker311, Sep 11, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    So Ive had this happen a few times and wondered if anyone has experienced it. During our 2 years in the home, weve had satellite people, AC people, electricians, security and other professionals go through the home. Most have seen my collection that I have and have commented on it. Some have asked if I sell or if they could take pictures. Do any of you say no or are worried that having these people see this room might increase the chance of having someone break in?

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really. Most people comment on such stuff nostalgically (like one guy who was delivering my new shelves through UPS saw my MP3 Soundwave and made a comment about how he remember having the 'tape deck guy' when he was a kid). I've even had people talk to me about it and ask where I buy it. I kind of find it funny (though not to surprising) the amount of people whom don't realize that there's more to it than the original series and the 2007 Movie.

I've never had anyone ask if they could take pictures before... and I'd probably have to tell them no if we just met... I guess it might sound paranoid, but I just met them, you know?

3. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

yeah it was funny actually.

I had all my MISB deluxe Classics hanging from a wall in my room in a pyramid type arrangement (with Starscream at the top) at the time when the guy from AT&T came to install our new PVR cable boxes.

My roomates talked to him first and he saw my display case in our game room and was impressed and when he got to my room and he saw all my classics he said, "wow I love transformers I think your collection is awesome! you should know though that your roomates were saying that you're kinda like that 40yr old virgin guy with your toy collection"

To which I responded, "You should know though, that I'm the one with a girlfriend and both these guys haven't been able to get laid for the past 2 years due to severe lack of "game", although they try to make up for lack of game by investing hours on end playing videogames while I'm out clubbing or...down here getting laid with starscream and the rest of my classics cheering me on"

40 yr old virgin...I think not! (besides I'm only 27) nice try though fellas.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Half the time, my TFs are all in one big box. If anybody happens to go up into my room, they may only see a few lying around. However, I've never had anyone other than my brother or mother coming into my room for anything, so I have no worries about people asking me if I have any to sell or if they could take pictures.

Though, if I was in such a scenario, I would be polite as possible... if I have any to sell, I would take out the ones I want to sell, let them take a look at them and if they want them, I'll let them have them at any price they name. If they want to take pictures, they have to state a very good reason why; if they could provide me a good enough reason, then I'll let them, if not, then I will politely tell them no.

I'd doubt any of them would attempt to break into the house. Me, I'm at home practically all the time, so fat chance of anybody robbing me of my TFs. Though, it probably wouldn't hurt to be extra careful if anyone's showing particular interest in your TFs.

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Methinks thou dost protest a bit too much.

6. Molini

Great observation. My ego demanded I protest...for added effect of course;) 

7. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    umm...my collection is in my room...so no one sees it unless i want to show them.
    (i live in an apt) it was in the living room at one point (before we got a computer) and my gfs ex bf (father of her child) came to pick up his daughter, he saw it and commented about how ridiculous it was that a grown man collected toys.....to which she promptly repsonded how she thought it was absolutly ridiculous that a grown man lives and breathes world of warcraft (hes obsessed with it). he looked down at the floor and didn't say anything

i wasn't at home at the time...but i would have responded with to each their own.

8. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

When they cable guy came out to put in a new line a while back he commented that he had transformers too, but they were the "original ones" and they were put up where nothing bad could happen to them. He then explained he was going to sell them years from now to put his son though college.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Number 1 response to seeing my collection, "OH MY GOD!" Anyway, almost nothing is MIB so I don't think anyone would want to steal anything. Most non-fans don't know the true worth anyway. BTW, I'm no Virgin either. :lol 

10. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    when they come in and see my collection . they say wow thats a impressive collection & set up. then i have a few say wow you still buy toys lol.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, mostly they react out of nostalgia or are just plain freaked-out.

I hope this doesn't jinx anything, but my place was broken into about two years ago. When I got home and found the door swinging open my first thought was to run to my collection room. The only things taken were some video equipment. The whole place was ransacked EXCEPT for the TF room. I can imagine one of two things went through the crook's mind:

1) Wow. That's cool. I can't screw with any of that.

or

2) Dude. This guy is a FREAK.

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oddly enough, the repairmen et al who've visited my place don't see most of the collection, but then see my wall of SWTFs (opened, but still on their card and hanging) and say, 'Pretty big Star Wars fan, huh?' This has happened twice, despite the 12 other shelves of TFs in view.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude who took my senior pictures out here dug it, apparently his son was into this stuff in the 80's, so he took me some high-res, studio quality photos of a couple of my displays.

Friends either go "wtf", "wow" , etc.
    DN

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A few weeks ago, I had some carpet cleaners in my apartment. They saw bits and pieces of my collection...they immediately recognize them. It turned into a casual conversation. My best friend was cool with helping me pack up my collection.

The time that I did not like it when my neighbor's 10-year son in my home office. He was messing around my G1 Wheeljack. I told him that he could look at it but please be careful with it.

15. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I really don't have much of a collection but I get lots of comments of nostalgia about my Autobot and Decepticon tattoos located on my forearms.

like the other day, i was shopping at ToysRUs and this little boy came up to me with his mom. he pointed at my tattoos and said " My favorite's Bumblebee." I thought it was cool...

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

So your entire house was ransacked except for the TF room, and only video equipment was stolen? That must have sucked. I doubt any of the crooks knew what a Transformer was, and probably thought that the toys weren't worth going through AND weren't worth nothing.

But, hey... count your lucky stars. No stolen TFs.

17. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:

What, the first semester? maybe? lol :) 

i get varied responses like "wow!" to just meh, to the fake "oh, cool" when they don't know what else to say.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Pretty much the same reactions.

19. Molini

I'm quite ashamed of myself to have only now realized the brilliance in this quote!

I just finished watching Futurama The Beast With A Billion Backs

Touche Velcro...Touche indeed!