Question about non paying bidders on Ebay.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tb-1599, Aug 9, 2012.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

So the other day. I sold a set of Tritton AX Pro's on flea bay for 120.00 (3day auction). Now I am used to having people pay pretty promptly after an auction ends (usually a couple of hours). But with this sale I am already at the start of day two and I havent had any communication from the buyer. I sent an invoice saying that when he sends the payment (depending on what time) I would more than likley be able to ship the same day as payment recieved. I know they say you should give somebody 4 days to make payment. What I want to know is would it be ok just to send a reminder saying something to the effect of "hey you have two more business days to make payment. If not a non paying bidder claim will be filed."

Any advise?

2. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Wait the 4 days then send an e-mail. If you don't hear back in a prompt manner then open the non paying case. You don't want to give them any reason to side with the buyer and the buyer could say you threatened them with opening the case.

Some people are just assholes like that.

3. tb-1599

Ok so Monday afternoon (thats when the four days are up) should I go ahead and file the non paying bidder or send him a message saying I am being forced to file a claim.

4. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you specify your payment terms in your listing? Most people have 3 to 7 days for payment, so at the 4 day mark a reminder would be fine. Filing a non paying bidder atfer 4 days is kinda a dick move to me. You could prob set your mind at ease by looking at the person's feedback and the $ amounts of items they have purchased before.

Is the item used? Either way you are laying the groundwork for a neg if you go the course you are looking at.

5. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I should have asked this, what did you state in your ebay listing in terms of payment? Did you state 4 days or what? Need this info. If you stated nothing on this then like Deathblade said, a reminder on day 4 without adding in anything about filling a non bidder case should be fine.

6. tb-1599

yea I didnt post anything about payment schedule. (I guess I should start that from now on.) So Monday afternoon I will send a friendly reminder.

7. Eigo Risu

Eigo Risu Less than meets the eye

Ebay:
    I usually give it a week, on the off chance they've decided to send a postal order or they only check their ebay on a weekend, but i do specify payment within 7 days, and i'm pretty strict about it, unless the person messages with a good reason why the payment is delayed. sometimes paypal holds payments by echeck etc, which is annoying, but par for the course. personally i always pay right after auction end, or just buy-it-now.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I usually send another invoice after a week if I don't hear anything and if I don't hear anything after two weeks, I relist.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Also, remember some people do not get online everyday or every other day for that matter. If I remember correctly EvilBay states 5 business days to pay. I would say waiting until Monday would be the best course of action. You have plenty of time to file a non-payment claim. And in the end if you do file and win all you will do is get your fees back so basically you will still be out the time and effort you put into this so try to make it work. One other thing I forgot to mention, some bidders will wait a few days to see if you post anything else they want to save on shipping.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  10. tb-1599

all of my auctions I always make sure it says PP payments only.. I always pay right after the auction ends also its just courtious that way... It's just a little nerve racking this is supposed to be going towards my Green Giant purchase.

11. tb-1599

*update* I am getting a not so good feeling about this one. So I went ahead and started a claim for a not paying bidder. I sent him an email yesterday. Just as a friendly reminder. I wasn't a dick or anything. I gave him more than 24 hours. So I did my claim today.