Question about my PC

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Surge, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I figured I'd ask here since, every time I post a PC-related question on Yahoo Answers, it never gets answered. My specs are...

Dell Vostro 230
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz
    2.00GB or RAM
    Windows 7
    Intel G41 Express Chipset (integrated graphics or whatever)

I installed Team Fortress 2 several months ago and it wouldn't even start up. Do I just have a shitty graphics card? If so, if I simply get a new card, would I be able to run games such as Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, TF2, Halo CE, and several other few-year-old titles? Thank you in advance. :) 

2. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Integrated Graphics are usually not strong enough to play top of the line games. With a new graphic card, you should be able to play those games

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Integrated graphics processors are usually not designed for handling a whole lot so that might be your issue.

You might fix some of the crashes by updating your drivers and reinstalling (SFIV did the same thing for me for a while until I reformated my pc and started with a fresh windows install, but same hardware).

I would say you should look into buying a standalone graphics card, but I'm not sure you could even put one into that Dell, based on the size of the tower. The website says you should be able to easily access the port you need and be able to add a new graphics card, so it's probably ok. I would just check the dimensions of the card before buying a new one. With the new series of nvidia cards coming out, you could probably get ahold of a previous series card for a better price right now as they are cleared out for the new cards.

4. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Thanks so much for the answers so far. I've been wanting to play games smoothly on my computer for as long as I can remember, but have never had the right equipment to do so. I don't suppose I can just remove the cover and identify what kind of card insert it has?

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    according to the dell website, the vostro 230 has one pcie (1.0?) x 16 slot.

Be careful when choosing a new video card though, as you will have to make sure that your pc has the electrical power to handle it. Your pc has either 250 or 300 w of power, depending on if it is the larger or smaller version of the 230. As such, you will have to make sure the graphics card doesn't exceed these specs or else you will just get messed up graphics for everything.

6. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Hmm. Here's my rig for reference.

[​IMG]

There's actually a computer shop just a couple blocks from where I live. I wonder if I can take it there and they can determine which ones will fit. They sell all kinds of accessories including video cards and other gadgets.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok. It's the larger tower so it's the 300 w power supply you have in there I believe. Also, given the size, it should handle most standard sized cards without issue.

8. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter: