Question about Military and glasses (non-political!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by red4, Jun 24, 2009.

1. red4

red4 Banned

During training, does a soldier have to wear contacts, or something?

Wait, my questions are going to get really specific, so I'll just get to the point.

I invented a character whose in the military, a girl, and she wears glasses, and prefers not to use contacts. What protocol, if any, does she have to follow regarding her vision? And does it vary between Army, Navy, and Airforce?

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Ive never seen soldiers with glasses, so maybe.

3. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I know is that you have to have 20/20 vision to pilot a fighter jet.

4. trump

trump WWBD?

You should pick the military branch, then join them to get your answer.

5. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soldiers can and do wear glasses, yes. Those that need them, that is. Contacts are a bad idea when out in the field.

Pilots need excellent vision to fly. However, mechanics who maintain them can and do wear corrctive lenses. So, no matter what branch, military personel can wear glasses. Though there are some things where people with corrective lenses can not do, sadly. Like land an F-14 on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    You get what're called BCs. It stands for Birth Control. Really thick glasses.

[​IMG]

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm in the Air Force.

We can wear glasses. In Basic Training, one usually wears glasses over contacts simply because of all the rules and routines and other crap you have to go through. (You usually don't even have time to take a decent deuce.) You wear your own until the issued ones are made to your prescription then you have to wear those. Mine didn't account for my astigmatism so they were about worthless. In fact they were so bad that I didn't wear them on the range, shooting (and incidentally was the only time I didn't score Expert Marksman.)

And as mentioned above, you don't wear contacts in the field. I'm deployed right now and have to wear my glasses. The old "BCG's" still exist, but they also came out with more fashionable frames that you can choose from (look at my public profile, I'm wearing the new ones in my pic.) Lasik is available, but at least on my base, there's a massive waiting list and the transportation and lodging to get the surgery is about a year long.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Heh. So that is why every time I see a soldier on the news who is wearing glasses they always look like they should be at home pwning in CS 1.6 rather than out in the RL.

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I know :( 

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Can people who have LASIK then become fighter pilots?

11. Nemesis Chris

Nemesis Chris mental minibot

i'm in the coast guard, you can wear glasses. in bootcamp you wear the bcg's, once you're out in the fleet you can wear glasses, contacts, or get lasik if you qualify. i don't know the details.

12. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I was in Basic training for the Air Force, we also wore AF issued glasses. They were eupemistically called "Birth Control" glasses. They were ugly rectangle shaped black frames. I was fortunate to not have to wear them as I had prisms in my lenses and it took them a whole 6 weeks to get them to me. Never wore them! Finally gave them to the Lions Club after I left the AF.

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I suppose so, I honestly don't know the answer to this though. I don't see why not. Though to even be an officer you have to have a degree, then there are all types of other things you have to do/be to qualify to fly, let alone fighters...

I'm sure you could talk to a recruiter to find out for sure though. Anyone afraid of the "lies," just find out their supervisor's contact info and double check to see if they're BS'ing you though. From what I've heard and experienced though, AF recruiters tend to be honest (moreso than other branches.)

14. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Contacts are definitely a no-no during Army basic training considering the amount of physical exertion on goes through for 10 weeks. The schedule and the training are very prohibitive when it comes to maintaining contacts. All soldiers that have a prescription for sunglasses are issued a pair of glasses (aka the BCG's). The only time during basic training that a soldier can wear the glasses that they brought with them is during rifle training, since they want the soldier to have whatever is best for them visually in order to qualify with a rifle.

As for LASIK, here's an article that states the Air Force now allows applicants that have had LASIK surgery to become pilots. Previously it was just those that had PRK. The Navy and Marines also allow LASIK and PRK. For the Army though you have to be enrolled in the Army's Aviator Laser Eye Surgery Study Program if you have had or want LASIK and want to be a pilot.

15. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I still wear my FoCs (Frame of Choice). When I was given my Entry Level Seperation, I donated my BCGs. Kinda wish I'd kept them now.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just found out today that I can get LASIK for free! So shortly the question will be moot for me.

Just another reason to [REDACTED].

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah Army uses BCGs for Basic Training...but AIT you can swap over to normal glasses or contacts

during my improcessing for deployment, i rocked the BCGs for like a week...then i went to normals.

18. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    My instructors while I was in AIT got pissed at me, as I had ordered a new set of glasses to replace my previous set that had broken. Thing is, I ordered a set of Transitions (that turn to sunglasses in the sunlight). Quickly deciding that I shouldn't piss off those who can smoke you at their whim, I quickly got a pair of BCG's to wear for the rest of my training.

Also of note: During Basic Training, you also get issued a set of lenses to wear inside your gas mask, since you can't wear traditional glasses w/ the mask on.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, transitions is the one thing that they dont like...if you stick to ones that arent, you'll be good.

funny how people look SO different when they go from BCGs to normals. Some you'd actually would actually hang out with now lol