Question about Megatron and Bubblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by HoLyGhOsT, May 16, 2007.

1. HoLyGhOsT

HoLyGhOsT New Member

Is is me or has Megatron's and Bumblebee's character design changed from the original G1 character design era? I mean I know that even Prime's design has changed some, but at least he is still a semi-truck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Megatron's transformation a huge gun, that Starscream used to hold when transformed? In addition, wasn't Bubblebee a "Volkswagon Beetle" or a "Bug" automobile?

I will say, while Bubblebee's new look looks cool, I still feel it would have better to make him look more like how he used to be, especially since Prime and most the others are looking like their old G1 designs. Not to mention Megatron, I mean I am almost certain Megatron's old G1 character design was a huge gun that starscream held when Megatron was transformed.

At any rate, that seemingly is not the case is now as obviously the movie has made their designs like the G1 era, or so I am assuming( I guess you all will correct me if I am wrong). I still have two complaints: One being, if the design is going to change, at least make it look cool, for instance bumblebees new design and second, why exactly wasn't Megatron and Bumblebee made to look more like thier G1 character designs? In my opinion, Transformers has the rich history and fan base that would bar that the creators of the first ever full cinematic movie representation of the fav'ed 1980's tv show would be foolish not it as authentic as possible.

Maybe I am ranting about nothing, who knows, I guess I will have to wait to see when 7/4/07 comes around, I just hope that these changes to two core characters to the transformer's G1 era does not ruin the movie for me...

2. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

I nominate this thread for "most epic lateness".....

Sorry.

3. HoLyGhOsT

HoLyGhOsT New Member

ya my first time on these forums dude... Was just researching the movie for the first timetonight, I guess I got a little bored... Well during my research I came across those questions listed in my thread, and then consequently these forums, where I figured I would find some friendly responses, guess not. :peoples: 

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yeah, if you aren't up to the millisecond in transformers knowledge, the geeks here will rip you a new one :p 

5. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Therein lies the ultimate question my friend...

Do you keep the old, and give in to tradition...or do you go for something completely new?

Your memory serves you right. Bumblebee was a Volkswagon Bug/Beetle, and Megatron did turn in to a gun of varying size. That is what most fans grew up with. That is known as "Generation One."

The movie however, is NOT "Generation One," much to the chagrin of fans.

During the production of the live-action movie, the designers ran into several problems. In terms of Bumblebee being a Volkswagon Bug/Beetle...Volkswagon is to blame there. Volkswagon does not want its image involved with anything that could be considered a "war machine..." is this possibly the lamest excuse they could come up with? Perhaps. But let them have their iPods, and regret their uninvolvement later...

Another complication rises in terms of the character himself. This version of Bumblebee is far from the G1 character we all know and love. Those of us that have read either the prequel novel, or the live-action movie script can attest to the fact that the movie character is something more reminiscent of the recent Hotshot character as seen in Transformers Armada/Energon/Cybertron, or a combination of Hotshot/Bumblebee.

Another consideration was the age bracket of the audience. Most "fans" are males, ages 20 - 30, and most children run the gamut of 5 - 12. Most male "fans" probably wouldn't want to run out and buy a new Volkswagon Beetle. (Don't get me wrong male Beetle owners, but Volkswagon themselves admitted it was designed for women...and they even put a flower vase in there...) Most male "fans" whether they are into the import tuner scene or domestic muscle can appreciate the rebirth of the Camaro...which fits the Hotshot archetype much better, and the movie could possibly generate a lot of buzz for the car...which GM needs, and I'm sure they paid for it!

As far as Megatron goes...its hard enough for non-fans to believe in the concept of robots transforming into ordinary objects...but to watch a 50 foot tall robot turn into a handgun that could easily be destroyed is absolutely absurd. They wanted a degree of realism to go with the fantasy, and thus no mass-changing.

There supposedly is a reason Megatron does not take an Earthen-form...but you'll have to watch the movie to find out, cause I'm not gonna ruin it here...

Hope that helps!

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I would explain why there like this but I am really lazy. I am sure redsquad or someone else will come to your rescue. Welcome to the Boards!!!

7. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

again, sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. It's fine that you're not aware of all the discussion that's gone on about this topic. It's just we've heard all this a million times. I wasn't trying to diss you or anything, if you're new, feel welcome, and you'll see before too long why I posted "epic lateness" if you read some backlogged threads.

I just wanted to say "epic lateness" :) 

Welcome to the boards

8. HoLyGhOsT

HoLyGhOsT New Member

Thanks for the information Squall and ya it's cool boxer, I did not take it to heart. I will read through the forums though and find more information, I just hope this movie does Transformers justice :) 

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Optimus Prime is a combination of red and blue...check
    Optimus Prime has a faceplate (on every toy, and at some point in the movie)...check
    Optimus Prime voiced by the original voice actor Peter Cullen...check
    Optimus Prime as a badass truck with a badass flame deco inspired by real truckers...check

Bumblebee as a small scout...check
    Bumblebee serving as the current generation's "Hotshot"...check
    Bumblebee is yellow, and actually resembles a bumblebee...check
    Bumblebee without an annoying, whiny voice...check (just kidding)
    Bumblebee as a badass car that fits his personality...check

Ironhide is Optimus old friend...check
    Ironhide wants to kick Megatron's tail accross the galaxy...check
    Ironhide as a badass ginormous truck as opposed to a minivan...check

Ratchet as a medical vehicle...check
    Ratchet serving as the Autobot's medical chief...check
    Ratchet as a badass hummer/emergency vehicle hybrid thing...check

Jazz with a visor...check
    Jazz as a small, quick, sportscar thats souped up...check

Megatron is evil...check
    Megatron is played my Hugo Weaving...Agent Smith from the Matrix...who is also evil...check
    Megatron is huge and imposing in comparison to Optimus Prime...check
    Megatron will strike fear into little kiddies hearts...check
    Megatron with some type of arm cannon...check

Starscream as friggin fast jet...check
    Starscream as the back-stabbing second in command...check
    Starscream has a cockpit/chest with afterburner boobies...check

A Decepticon police car? A Decepticon that infiltrates the police? Genious!!

A eerily familiar gray helicopter? Vortex anyone?

A stereo that infiltrates Airforce One?

A Mine-sweeping vehicle that takes on Optimus Prime?

This movie has enough fanwanks to do Transformers justice.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Simple answers:

bumblebee cant be a beetle bwcause VW doesnt want to be associated with war toys, and megatron isnt a gun because then they couldnt sell a toy of him if he was realistic, it doesnt make sense for the movie, and since there's no mass shifting he'd be a HUGE gun that no one aside from devastator or another combiner could hold.

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yea, just to warn you, you may have opened up a nasty can of worms with this thread.
    But all I'm going to say is if you take a side by side compariaon of the movie designs, and guys they're based on, you'll find very few similarities, except for maybe Optimus. Megatron looks nothing like Megatron, Ratchet looks nothing like Ratchet, SS, Brawl, etc. Jazz their's a vague resemblence, but he looks more like the love child of G1 Jazz, and a cave troll.
    PLus they're doing the whole exoskeleton look which really bugs me, and others alot. But you're about to get pounded with a ton of other folkses ideas. Welcome and good luck. :) 

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont think you know what an exoskeleton is.
    insects have exoskeletons. solid parts that cover their bodies with no gaps or unprotected areas.

the movie TFs dont have that look.

G1 TFs kind of do.

13. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Well another thing in the design scenario you have to consider, is the structural integrity of the designs themselves when clashed with the same type of material they are made with. These new designs, while maintaining the character, also allow a wider array of action and fluidity, without the structural integrity flaws alternators, and G1 designs bring to the table. Mostly in the joints, but the strain on other damaged parts could be as disasterous. These new designs also have better armoring over said weak points of any structure (the joints).

All in all, the designs seem to follow a formula of form to function without hindrance of useless alt mode kibble.

I'm prepared to be very happy if these trailers are any inkling on what to expect.

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    nah, they got both! :p 

15. indecks

indecks Banned

ha ha ha ha

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Oh yea. That's right. My mistake.
    Well the movie designs are definatly insect like. However with thier apparent lack of protective armor, they also look very stripped down too. Not much armor on those guys. And that's what really bugs. I think that's what I was trying to say.
    Thanks for pointing that out. :) 

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I hate the G1 bumblebee...I just cant stand him...best thing was when he became Goldbug but that wasent much of an imporvment.

Now the movie BB...Now he ROCKS..I want a Sideshow Statue of him dammit.

18. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I would have been extremely disappointed if they kept everything exactly like G1. They are dumping millions of dollars into this movie. Right now, G1 is mainly a collectors niche market. The general population isn't exactly clamoring for the Transformers. Heck, todays generation kids aren't even clamoring for them. Transformers are pretty much shelf warmers with the exception of the classics line, which are mainly purchased by the older crowd. Heck, if the NEWER generation AND the old generation were all fans, they would be flying off the shelf like crazy. As it stands, mainly a collectors niche market.

MOST people think of Transformers as a kids toy ... a relic of the 80's that died out. Well, except for fans that is ... which are actually a small percentage compared to the general population. If it were the opposite, we would continue to see TF shows on TF. Right now, no TV channel is stupid enough to dedicate an expensive prime time slot on the Transformers. If TF is on TV, it is on non prime-time. Either VERY late, or VERY early.

They need to focus on the general population for this to work and them to make money. At first, they announced a G1 movie ... but quickly realized it would never work. It is surely a recipe for failure to focus on mainly the fans. They are trying to make TF "cool" for the general population by giving them a more mature look. And to do that? Why stick with old vehicles? It doesn't make sense.

Your joking right? It was cool when we were kids, but as an adult, the gun has got to be the dumbest alt mode for a decepticon leader. For one thing, Megatron is looked at as a superior Decepticon. Why the hell would a superior Transformer like that, have an alt mode that is useless by itself and has to be wielded by his underlings? Thats like a king asking his jester permission to do something. Its just stupid. Add to that the fact that, in a live action movie, it would look EXTREMELY dumb for a small P38 Walther handgun to grow into a giant robot. I've seen growing like that in Zathura ... and that looked stupid and cheezy.

This is the real world. They can't just use any vehicle they want as a staring role. They have to get permission from Volkswagon. This is NOT G1. There have been MANY different Transformers. You should be used to the fact the robot designs arent static. They change from show to show. Why is this any different? Its not G1, its a different continuity, get over it.

Well, Megatrons original alt mode is stupid for a live action movie. Heck, the whole concept of .. "I must be wielded by my weaker underlings" is a dumb idea. It was cool when I watched the first show when I was a kid, but now? Heck no ... this movie should be made for people NOW, not for people THEN.

Yup ... this is 2007. This movie needs to appeal to the masses of THIS generation, not the masses of OUR generation.

19. Yurre

Yurre I want space nachos XD

^agree...

20. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmm... those are hot.