Question about masterpiece mp-1 and mp-4

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NeoZeRo35, Dec 10, 2008.

1. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Quick question. Is there a huge difference between Masterpiece Prime/Convoy in MP-1 and MP-4 aside from one coming with the trailer? I'm looking at purchasing one and it seems that MP-4 generally costs less than MP-1 even though it comes with a trailer. It just seems a little odd to me.

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the comm link pics were different.

3. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I have both myself, and physically the two appear to be pretty much identical. My MP-01 came with the grey rifle, and so does MP-04 (I think it was only Hasbro's version that came with a black rifle). The accessories are all the same, and I believe as mentioned the com pictures are different.

So, why the difference in price?

MP-01 is collectable now. The original release is vintage, and apparently enough people think he's worth it that the price has been bid up to $300+. If you look at the price of MP Magnus (MP-02), That represents the true price of a re-release of the mold.

So, really, if you just want a Masterpiece Optimus to get the mold and the original Masterpiece deco, MP-04 should do you fine.

4. Magnus406

Magnus406 Decepticreep

I have both MP-1 (one of the first batches of MP-1 in fact - December 2003) and also MP-4. If you are picky about your stuff, then MP-1 is the way to go. MP-1 has a better paint job, tighter joints and perfectly fitting components. MP-4 has a bit of a poorer paint application, some paint chips straight out of the box, very thinly applied chrome, and his parts (like chest doors) don't fit together quite as well. I have seen five MP-4 in total and they all had some fairly noticeable QC issues. I have heard that the second release of MP-1 (released in October 2004) also has poorer QC, but I can't verify that. The one MP-1 I have is near flawless!

5. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Is it possible to purchase the transformable trailer by itself? I really don't want another MP Prime being I have one, my son has one. I just want the trailer, but so far all I can seem to locate is the empty one that doesn't transform.

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Not really no. That is the same issue that tons of people had when MP-04 was introduced actually. Buying a trailer for ~$200 and getting another MP Prime with it. Kinda sucks.

I don't think there are any fan made transformable trailers. Just the one trailer was made that I know of and it is just a solid box when put together.

7. lilgreenlude93

lilgreenlude93 Well-Known Member