Question about Marvel toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Nerdling, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    When I was a kid I used to run around the mall trying to get my favorite ToyBiz versions of the Xmen toys and the other Marvel superheroes with the comic book as the card. My question is, why are these toys so inexpensive? If I went on ebay and bought my favorites (MOSC) I could spend less than I would if I bought 1 or 2 Masterpiece TFs.

I'm not complaining, I just find it interesting that these cool (though non transforming or super detailed) toys could be worth only a few dollars more than they were 15 or 20 years ago.

2. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Because Marvel Legends took over the Collector's aspect of Marvel toys. Thats the answer I hear, though I would think that the older ones would be much more expensive on the secondary market.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I remember the Secret Wars (some of them do command a high price) toys being 15-20 years ago, but they were card backs. Though I don't remember TB making them.

Marvel Legends were the only comic backed Marvel toys I remember, but they're only 5-6 years old. The X-Men and Marvel Super-heroes weren't comic backed either. Though I think they don't fetch a high price because 1) the collector aspect that 80s toys had started was really picking up when they were released. They suffer from X-Men number #1 syndrome...over saturation and over collection. 2) They kinda suck now compared to Marvel Legends so there really isn't that much demand for them now.

Perhaps some links?

4. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Yeah the old Toybiz figures don't fetch much. I sold my childhood collection of TB Marvel figures for nothing a few years ago.

5. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I mean the comic illustrations on the Marvel Super Heroes line. I know they're not super poseable or detailed but they are really cool looking.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Spiderman Origins line? Some look pretty tempting.

6. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Basically it was Mrvel Legends, just Spider-Man only, gimmicks, and cheaper.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ah ok...yeah, they did have some cool illustrations of the characters. I never really got into the Marvels, but I loved the Toy Biz DC Super-heroes...never did find a Green Lantern.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just sold 10 misb Marvel figs on ebay for $50, that was'nt much at all.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The old Marvel toys were pretty much overproduced and thus undervalued. There are just so many of them still around that no one cares. I think Secret Wars are so much because it was the first shot at smaller action figures and was more of a trial run than anything.

As for Spidey Origins, it's a hasbro line of Spiderman only figures that are just repainted Spiderman Classics figures with a few exceptions like Spidey 2099 and Iron Spider.

10. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Spider-Man 2099 is a Spider-Man Classic figure too. It's a repainted Ben Reilly Spider-Man.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Although the older Marvel toys don't sell for that much, I really had fond memories of them.

One of the attractions of ML for me is that its in scale with most action figures made by other companies such as DC Superheros and DC Direct.

12. Wreckgar

I did not know that.

13. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Yeah I just recently sold one, not many people know about it. It had a goofy missile launcher back-pack.

14. Wreckgar

Was that the one with the terribly painted eyes? If so, I remember it but not with the stupid extended leg.