Question About "Lost Molds"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tampalicious, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

This may seem ignorant or noobish.

But why cant "they" just re-create the molds?

I dont see how this is such an impossible feat.
    They have the thing right there to look at and hold for 25 plus years.
    And they make new toys, and of course other shit all the time
    SO....
    How come they cant just "pretend" they came up with the mold, and badabingbadaboom!!

Theres Mirage in TRU or whatnot

Like I said.....

How is this such an impossible thing?

Also:

What molds are "lost"?
    I know Mirage and Streaker right?
    Who else?

Also part 2:
    Will we ever see a FORTRESS MAXIMUS reissue?????????? And how much would he be, like 100 in stores?

Thanks for any info

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Cost of reproducing said molds vs potential profit from sales of figures created from said molds.

You can believe that if there was enough money to be made, Hasbro would be doing it. If there's not, then they won't.

3. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    I prefer to believe that "Lost Molds" in the proverbial quotation marks = Hasbro's way of maintaining complete and absolute control over what they re-release and when.

It's absurd to believe a successful toy line like Transformers would misplace their originals.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^N0ob!:p 

j/k : Well, you gotta understand, some of the lost moulds are just that: lost forever not to be remade or repaired. Items like the uber-rare Raiden Trainbots, Star Saber and Road Ceaser are just some examples. No way those are ever going to see the light of a reissue anytime soon.

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    They'd rather make new updated molds anyway. Classics Mirage and Sunstreaker replaces any desire for reissues of their 1984 toys. Or should do, as far as Hasbro's probably concerned.

6. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yes, it's clearly a conspiracy :rolleyes2 

Or maybe it's that a massive company like Hasbro has multiple factories where the toys are made that get sold off sometimes? And they get left there by accident?

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mostly, they are not going to rebuild molds for Wheeljack or Sunstreaker just to make Geewunners happy; also considering that Encore sells a limited number of figures, Hasbro will submit that as evidence to you as to why they won't do that.

You will not get a Fort Max reissue in America- it fails the drop test for safety and thus you aren't going to see him in TRU.

your best hope (and keep dreaming on that C-note price point) is that Takara or some company in Korea releases a reissue and you get it through BBTS or TFSource or HLJ.

8. Tampalicious

ok thanks.

Sounds like Fort Max and all those Victory figs will remain the stuff of dreams.

9. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I remember reading somewhere that molds got damaged and lost, in a fire? and so on, in China, were the molding happens, also of note, G1 Prime was badly damaged, and they reverse engineered him, and made a new mold, so that he could be reissued, Jazz too if I remember right.
    Also the BW Flip changers, Rattrap, Terrorsaur, Snapper, Armorhide are lost too.

10. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    There's no proof. You can think I'm a fool for not believing it, but where is the evidence to support the contrary?

Go ahead and show me somewhere Hasbro admitted to losing some molds. Besides fanboy speculation...

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

I never understand why Hasbro is expected to roll out all the reissues and why Takara isn't solely looked to. Though it's always nice when Hasbro throws out the occasional reissues (especially of characters you wouldn't expect), they don't operate with the same toy laws and market audience as Takara. Whenever I think "I wonder if/when we could get _____ reissued..." I always have Takara in mind. I never think of Hasbro; I'd rather they worry about Classics or other lines (Animated, the Movie stuff, etc.).

That being said, this next statement might be naive, but I've privately hoped that one (not very likely?) explanation for the long delay from the last Encore release to the next from Takara is because they're looking into reissuing something that we wouldn't expect down the road(Dinobots, Sunstreaker, Mirage, a cityformer, something from one of the Japanese G1 lines, etc.). Again, probably naive, but I keep my fingers crossed.

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As far as we know, they could already be working on our favorite figures and could be released by the end of this year or next year, or by the time TF3 comes out. I'd like to see Trypticon and Fortress Maximus be Encored my self.

13. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Trypticon would be well deserved. It's a brilliant figure.

14. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Botcon panel coverage. In 2007, FunPub explained that their selection of Buzzclaw as the Insecticons was because their better choices were unavailable (Scarem and Manterror were mentioned, I think Buzzclaw was option #5 or so) and caused them to cancel their original plan for the Insecticons in the set. At the time of the Beast Wars anniversary line (and before), it was explained that lack of molds was why Rattrap and Terrorsaur couldn't be released as a two-pack as suggested. Lack of molds has been cited a few times as the reason why *insert G1 figure here* couldn't be reissued, if they're a character not considered profitable enough to create a new tooling.

Whether they're lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, according to Hasbro, it happens.

EDIT: Can't find the "Insecticon" list yet. I was wrong about Manterror, he was omitted because he was a Deluxe and thus more expensive. Insecticon, Powerpinch and Scarem were on the list and nixed, though. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...lost-unusable-tf-mold-list-2.html#post1563047

15. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every mold is a 'lost mold' if Hasbro feels they can't make more money out of it. With the current technology, it's silly to think a mold is 'lost forever'. You'll never see the toy again because Hasbro has no interest in making them, not because the molds are gone.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They actually lost the transtech starscream prototype in the mail, didnt they? they wanted to use it in cybertron or something?

and yeah, "lost molds" doesnt mean that the figure can never be released again, just that they'd have to factor in the cost of making new molds into deciding if it's worth it or not. absolutely worth it on certain popular characters, but less popular ones, it's too risky.

17. Tampalicious

ok. That makes alot of sense, especially "reverse engineering" which I think is what I was getting at.

I guess I am starting to realize there are alot more "general TF" fans, than "G1 fans".....

It just blows my mind thinking, what if they actually did re-dub Masterforce and Victory, hell even Headmasters..........

ALL those great toys available in stores.............

Ah well...............

Lets start a petition for Fort Max or something............:) 

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    fort max cannot be reissued in the US. they tried back for Robots in Disguise, and he couldnt pass the drop test. until US toy laws change, he's not happening.

19. Tampalicious

oh wow, thats crazy! You mean like if he dropped off a balcony he might kill somebody? LOL I love it! I always assumed the RID one was available in states and that I just never saw one

Thats hella funny though

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    hey, if you want fort max, go to flea markets, that is how i got mine for $7 (mainly missing cerebros and ramps and his guns, but mine has spike!)