Customs: Question about Lockdown

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by @l3x, May 3, 2008.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can anyone tell if this is possible with some reassembly? The main concern would be turning around the entire head/neck, and I don't know if that is possible with reassembly since I don't have the figure.

Attached Files:

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Short answer: NO

Long answer: If you could remove the one-sided pins so you could get to the
    hidden screw that hold the head & neck on place on the upper torso. It might be
    possible to (with some modding) rework the neck to get some movement. His
    head & neck are not designed to move at all, even though his head has a point
    of articulation.

Hope that helps

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    wow, that's just lame.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yes, I agree that his lack of neck articulation despite the presence of a joint, is lame.

On the other hand, the idea of putting the car canopy on his chest is not lame. I like it. It gives him a bit more of a traditional G1 aesthetic, rather than a streamlined Animated look, which can be cool.

If it was me though, I'd probably ditch the head in favour of a new one, and make him into a different character. That would at least deflect some of the more obnoxious commentary from TFA design purists. :) 

zmog

5. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    I don't think Redline is referring to the idea of the mod as being lame.
    I would imagen he is referring to the fact that Lockdown's head & neck
    are not meant to move at all as being lame, given the fact that Hasbro
    has put what looks to be a point of articulation.

6. tformer0607

tformer0607 Home in CT!

Ebay:
    not unless you want his head diagnaly backwords up

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

There is a point of articulation. I can easily turn his head around 360 degrees. But the neck leans too far forward (relative to his chest) to just turn it and make the roof his chest.
    It might, however, be possible to clear some material off the base of the neck so it folds out further when you open it out, making the head come further forward.

If you could do that, then you'd just need to work out how to reverse his hands, and possibly raise the shoulders a bit, as the roof comes up higher than the chest, so relatively, the shoulders look somewhat lower down.

Quick pic of my Lockdown, for reference:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/khepris-throne/DSCF0262.jpg

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Could you mod the existing neck for clearance, and add a different ball joint for the head?

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Modding the existing neck for clearance: yes, I think so. Should be too tricky, I don't think, especially with a rotary tool to grind it down.

Switching the head'll be tricky - it's not on a ball joint, it's a rotary joint, and the post is on the head sticking down into the neck - which is difficult to remove due to the fact that the neck appears to be held together by the torso halves, which as NP noted are partially secured by a pin, which you can't get at easily because the shoulders, which obscure the ends, are themselves held on by pins with only one end exposed.

[edit] That was a somewhat longer sentence than I intended... :p  [/edit]

10. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    The only 3 flaws I see with this idea are.

1) You could not just turn the neck around, as LD's neck is meant to fold back into alt mode on the angle he has been given.

2) By leaving the lower half of the body turned around you are left with a very noticeable overhang at the torso.

3) Leaving the straight edge of the canopy upwards, looks odd. You would have to flip it so the curved end is upwards.

You would have a Partformer that you would need to take apart to put in Alt mode. I have no problems with Partformers,
    but if it's something you want to avoid. Going this mod route may be more trouble then it's worth.

In the words of Dennis Miller
    "That's just my :2c: , I could be wrong."

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Well, i hope @l3x gives it a shot. If not, I may have to try my hand on it, as that looks like a potential very cool Tf Ani Wheeljack.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Just a couple of thoughts on this:

1: True, you wouldn't be able to just flip the neck (even if you could get at the pin :p ). But as I said earlier, you could very well grind out some material at what is currently the back of the neck, allowing it to pivot out further.

2: Noticeable, sure - though I don't think it stands out as looking ridiculous. There's a possible solution to that, though. Given the depth of the back half of the crotch pate, it shouldn't be hard to carve a channel that allows it to slide forward for robot mode, making that overhang much less noticeable.

3: I actually quite like the canopy straight edge up, I must admit, especially given how high the head currently is - the only problem I have with it is how low it makes the shoulders appear. It's easy to pop the canopy off to reverse it, as it looks like you've spotted. True, as you said, that makes him a bit of a partsformer - with some extra work, maybe there's some way to attach it with a pivot?

'Course, then the neck overhangs the chest. If we (whoever's modding, @lex or otherwise) are taking the conversion this far, then I'd say we might as well ditch the neck entirely and fit a new head.

13. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    You raise some very good points & solutions.
    I'm must admit I can't believe I didn't think about adding a slot to the crotch pate, given I recently did something similar to Ani Cy mode Prime's hand.

I must admit, this mod has me intrigued. I've been sitting here with my LD trying to see how it could actually work out.

I'm going to have to think on this some more.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh, I know. This has had me unscrewing him completely to find out how he goes together... :D 

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Another thought has occurred to me, that I'm not quite sure how to deal with at the moment, and that's the arms. Although it's perfectly possible to just spin the arms at the elbows, this places the backs of the arms and hands on the inside. Now, if you can get those one-ended pins out, you can flip the hands easily enough - although whether they'll easily flip into the arms when reversed I couldn't say. But it also means you won't be able to attach the hook piece on the back of the arm, assuming you wanted to.

17. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    I think the only way around that would be to just swap the arm around. Left to right & right to left.

We really need to find a way to get at those one sided pins.
    I'm not sure if Dak's idea for drilling a hole on the covered side would work all to well given the plastic is not flat under LD's chest plate.

Those pins are the biggest problem if we can figure them out, this mod set should be easy.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

'Course then, it really would be a partsformer, since the arms have to be the way round they in order to transform...

I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. The uneven surface wouldn't make drilling the appropriate hole impossible, just more difficult to line up.