Customs: Question about Leader Class Prime?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Soundatron, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Here's the story. I bought Leader Class Prime last week and opened him up, while my g/f transformed him. We gotta kick outta the light up and sound fx. But we were like "yellow? Blue would seem more fitting" so she offered to take him apart and possibly put blue LEDs in. A week later (tonight) she tried and had no luck cause she couldn't crack his head open at all. Plus at the same time she had to deal with possibly screwing up, breaking him and making me upset lol.

Any thoughts or suggestions if this could still be possible?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It is possible. The head is just glued shut. I'm not sure how to un-glue it, but I know it can be done.

3. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    That's some gf you have right there :thumb 

4. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Getting the head open is difficult but shouldn't be impossible. Its glued together, so try a blow dry on medium low heat first to loosen up the glue, then use an exacto knife to slide between the halves and start cutting the glue loose. It will be a slow process but I've gotten several other glued together heads apart this way over the years.

5. Soundatron

ya damn skippy

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is what I generally do on parts that are glued together, often times sans blow dryer. The forearms on an Alt Subaru are glued together for example, so I've had to do this a couple of times :D 

I had a Wal*mart gift card and used it towards a second movie Prime. I have to say that Animattronic's custom inspired my purchase :) 

I hope you will be able to change the LEDs in your Prime; that would REALLY look sweet! (Props to your gf as well, Soundatron :thumb )

7. Soundatron

Forgive me for my ignorance but I do not see a blowdryer working?

In addition, I do I go about getting his head close up PROPERLY and EFFICIENTLY after I got the glue out and the LED in?

8. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

On a related note, I read somewhere that Leader Prime's upper arms are swapped from what they should be, and indeed, if you look carefully at the box photo and compare to the actual toy, the factory did get them the wrong way around. It doesn't impede anything, it just puts the screw holes on the wrong side. How hard is it to get all the dren apart in order to put them on the right way around?

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The blow dryer heats up the glue and head softening it up, you then use hte exacto knife or a very thin screw driver to pry it apart. I then to use thin screwdriver and pick a spot that won't bee seen if I screw it up.

To put the head back together, I would use either superglue or get some Proweld, its a glue used on styrene. The Proweld is probably easier to use. You would put the head pieces back together as normal, then with the Proweld brush (it comes in the bottle, kinda like fingernail polish) touch it to the seam that was split apart. Capillary action will do the rest and fuse the parts back together. You may need to hold to two halves for a moment while the Proweld works.