Customs: Question about Laquer paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Apr 13, 2012.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I've been using Jin and other tutorials on here as guides, and I'm finding that Laquer spray paint by model master has a tendacy to flake or peel off. Is this because it isn't dry, or is it not bonding to the primer?

I cleaned the figure, allowed it to dry, then applied the primer which I allowed to cure for two days prior to applying any paint apps. I painted the doors separately first to test the paint, then the body.

2. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

First and foremost, make sure you clean the figure really well. A degreaser like 409 cleaner works great so spray it down with that and then rinse it with hot water till squeaky clean. Then try priming it with rustoleum flat black or grey. Colorplace makes a great grey primer too (it's enamel based) and I've never had a problem with paint flaking with either two primers.

I think your problem may be that it's not bonding to your primer. Try the rustoleum flat black first and then wait for it to cure (I believe it's only 24 hrs). Then try your lacquer paints. 1st, do a light misting spray (probably cover about 20% of the figure). Then give it a minute or 2 and do another fuller layer. Then, do it again. And again. 4-5 light layers will cover your figure totally and with a couple minutes in between layers.

Hope that helps man.

3. NEST SOLDIER

Thanks for the assist. I'm gonna go ahead and complete this figure, and if it continues I'll redo the entire thing following your advice. I've heard others talk about Rustoleum and Krylon fusion, but I ordered the Testors thinking that would be best.

This is my first major custom, and one that I really want to work.

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I hope it all goes well man but if it's already flaking now, it probably will later too. You might just want to start over now and avoid the headache later. I've customized well over a 100 figures and I stand by rustoleum and even HOK lacquer paints. HOK (house of color). I hope it all goes well though for ya!

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you using the Testors model master primer? If not, can you post what you are using? Different brands of paint may not react well with each other.

I have some experience with the Testors model master lacquer system and it isn't my favorite. It dries a bit thick, and doesn't stick as well as others.

Spray paint needs a bit of time to fully cure, but this is part of the learning process. SO if it is to much work to try and fix, It may be time to start over.

6. NEST SOLDIER

I used Testors all purpose flat gray primer( 1237) then MM spray Laquer. I couldn't find any primer for a laquer paint.

I think it's gonna work, I just used a masking tape that had wet paint underneath and that pulled some paint off. However, if it doesn't, I ordered enamel paint to do a second version.

I also ordered enamel MM paint to use for detail work, like the figure's head.