Question about Korean/Chinese figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TerraDestroyer, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TerraDestroyer

TerraDestroyer "Sometimes crazy works."

News Credits:
    Since I'm relatively new to the fandom, I figured I'd check with all the nice folks here at TFW and ask: is there any real difference between the Takara/Hasbro figures released in Japan/the US and their Korean/Chinese counterparts?
    I ask because I've had unfortunate experiences with buying certain franchises in their "international" forms.
    I'm sure that I'm probably just being paranoid, but I know it can't hurt to ask before making my purchase.

Thanks in advance!

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Sonokong does most of the Transformer stuff in Korea... Those are on par or even better than Hasbro stuff... I'm not too sure about China...

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I'm not too sure about China...but we can safely assume that whatever China has, so does Hong Kong...meaning China has access to both Hasbro and Takara TFs.

From what I have seen so far, there seems to be some differences in quality between Hasbro and Takara's TF...with many saying Takara is better - in terms of quality of plastics, addition of chrome and paint applications.

However, unless you can afford some of the rather higher import prices, you may prefer to simply pick Hasbro's TF - as the differences can be minimal.

It is also important to note that Hasbro's QC is fast catching up with Takara's. In fact, some of Hasbro's TFs are on par with Takara's such as Primus - according to some of my friends who own both versions. Oh well, I guess that's all I know...

4. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Sonokong transformers are excellent, perfect quality and nice packaging. For china, they get a mix of hasbro, takara and a sea of different quality knockoffs.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I've got a Korean Brave Maximus and Big Convoy. Can't see any difference in them at all compared to all my other TFs.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a number of JBW and Brave figures, I own both Japanese and Korean versions of the same figure. Despite what some say, there is no noticeable differences between the quality of the plastic.

However, I have noticed that a couple of the Korean versions of some JBW items had loose joints... but assuming you own a Phillips screwdriver, this is not really a big deal.

And as far as quality control between Takara and Hasbro, BOTH have proven to fall short on a number of occasions. There is no universal law of Takara>Hasbro or Hasbro>Takara. This has been shown many many times over the last few years.

7. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    Chinese and Taiwan versions can be a little dodgy. The chinese G1 Cyclonus has loose shoulders, for instance. Korean stuff is almost identical to Takara's releases. All the car robots figures are identical to Takara versions, except the writing. I think mach alert's side door says "police", and I know super fire convoy's door says "119", the Korean emergency number. Kinda funny when considering that the US release has the Japanese writing but different deco.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The Korean stuff is as legit as it gets. If you see Sonokong figures for sale cheaper than the Takara counterpart (as is often the case) don't hesitate to buy.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As most others have said, anything by Sonokong in Korea is legit. There are sometimes a few QC issues, for example Brave Maximus has a sticker on upside down, and a few of my Korean Braves have poor stickers. Nothing terrible, and the stickers might be to do with age and how they were stored in the first place.
    Overall, you're going to be okay running with the Sonokong releases, they are cheaper than the originals normally and easier to find since Sonokong makes plenty of the things.

Chinese releases are more of a grey area. Taiwanese knockoffs are pretty common, and the quality varies greatly. I've seen some that aren't worth the cost of the materials they come packaged in, on the other hand, I happen to own a Korean Brave KO (Ultra Raker) who is as good as the original, the only flaws are in the sticker quality and that the die-cast plate is plastic.
    With those, its a case by case thing. Some are good, others need a bit of caution. 'fraid there are so many out there too that it really is hard to be more specific.

10. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

I have some Korean TFs if anyone is interested.

In a few cases, they are BETTER than Hasbro and Takara.