Question About Japanese BW/BM

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Mar 21, 2012.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just watched "Cybertron is in Grave Danger, Parts 1 and 2", the one where Cybertron blows up. Anyway, in the Japanese cartoon, is the Cybertron in BW/BM (Beast Wars Returns) a rebuilt Cybertron, or a different planet altogether, one Rodimus found later?

Also, while I'm thinking of it, when Rodimus Prime made Cerbrous the leader, why didn't he give him the Matrix?

2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Do you mean, how did Takara retconn the US->JP translations of Beast Wars/Metals/Returns into the G1 Japanese continuity?

3. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, pretty much.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Lack of Japanese understanding of the Transformers franchise and mythology, as further evidenced by the rest of the Headmasters series, then confirmed yet again numerous times by Masterforce, Victory and Zone.

But as to the Cybertron question, this was answered in another thread within the last couple days. Cybertron was restored using Nucleon in the G2 era of Japanese continuity. At least, I think that's what the answer was. For me, in order to enjoy Japanese TF continuity, it helps if I don't hold onto it too tightly and let the details blur in my mind.

5. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

rodimus prime and crebos is not in beast wars

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the implication was Rodimus was saying "You take care of shit here, I'm going to take our people and find a new world. I'm still in charge."

Or maybe they just didn't think it was relevant, since they had new macguffins to use.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Rodimus was still the leader, he left to find a new world and left the war effort to Cerebros.

I think in Japanese continuity the Beast Wars Cybertron was meant to be the original one rebuilt or something.

Implication I think though was that Rodimus founded planet Zone in the interim, since that's the base in the Zone series and also he popped up there in the Battlestars story.

8. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fortress was appointed Supreme Commander, so, no, Rodimus really was stepping down and saying "You're in charge now." But he kept the Matrix because... well, for some reason, you don't need the Matrix to be Supreme Commander in Japan. There have been more Supreme Commanders in the present day of the G1 continuity who HAVEN'T held it (Fortress, Ginrai, Star Saber, Dai Atlas and Sky Garry) than there are those who have (Optimus and Rodimus).

9. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

he is leader of headmasters
    rodiums prime is superme leader of autobots
    optimus primal is superme leader of maxianials

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well no, I trust Chris to know his stuff, if he says Fortress was named Supreme Commander then that's that right there. Been a while since I watched Headmasters. In Japanese continuity, Supreme Commander is the highest position on the Cybertron side.

Interesting note on those who've not held the Matrix, can't say as I've ever thought about it like that before!

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't say as I recall if Fortress is explicitly referred to as "soshireikan" (Supreme Commander) in the cartoon, mind you. Might be something worth checking. But pretty much all ancillary media treats him as the big boss, and in the Masterforce manga, he passes the Supreme Commander title on to Ginrai, so it's obviously his to give away.

I occasionally wonder if Rodimus not handing over the Matrix owed something to it's "changed" nature following "The Return of Optimus Prime" and the Headmasters opening three-parter, after it is emptied, partially re-filled with the lifeforce of Earth, and then topped off by Alpha Trion. Like, he took it with him on his voyage because to fill it with all the new experiences, races, planets, etc. he would encounter, or because he felt he NEEDED its guidance for his journey. The Headmasters manga concludes with him returning to Earth, and announcing that the Matrix has convinced him that the Transformers' future lies with humanity and Earth, so it's all circular. But he presumably clings onto that thing until Optimus comes back!

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    While it's been a while, I do recall Danny calling him Supreme Commander several times towards the end.

That's how I took it.

13. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I know that. I thought of the second question while I was making my first post, and I didn't what to start a second thread.

14. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That reminds me of V'GER.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How the hell did Klingons get those ridges on their heads? And did Star Trek the Motion Picture take place on Casual Friday? Why was everyone wearing pajamas instead of Star Fleet Uniforms? And did someone prank Ilia into thinking she had joined the Marines? Why was her head shaved? So many mysteries in that movie.

16. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    You are talking about the US series here. I know TFWiki will use the English names for things, but if you want to say Japan continuity is separate then you need to realise that there were no Maximals in Beast Wars JP. They were called Cybertrons, just like in G1. Rodimus Convoy was the Supreme Leader of the Cybertrons.