Question about internal electronics and water

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Jul 27, 2008.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    So I am about to prepare to dunk Powerglide into his nice jacuzzi bath of RIT dark red.

Upon disassembly, I've come across all his electronic insides. Most of the internal stuff, such as the battery wiring, speaker, and circuit board, won't come out unless I plan to do some MAJOR re-wiring, soldering etc (which I don't want to do)

I am curious, if anyone has, or heard of getting the inside electronics wet on a TF and salvaging their functionality. I know many people wash figures w/ hot water/soap, but is it possible to do with electrical inside?

If I give Powerglide the dye bath, can I use a hair dryer, and/or wait a few days before putting back in the batteries and turning the electronics back on?

Attached Files:

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the acetone in the dye bath may be more harmful than the water....

But, I have got electronic stuff wet before, and yes even submerged in water...and all I did was take the batteries out, blow it all out with air, and just let it set for a couple of days, and all was fine.

3. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Ooh, yeah my first suggestion is if there's any way to take apart as much as possible and avoid dunking the electronic parts (maybe just paint over those) that'd be the best way to go. But if there's just no way around it and you have to dunk them, after the dye is set you might try "redunking" in denatured alcohol (you can get it at Home Depot). This should dry out the moisture still inside and hopefully prevent corrosion to the electronics. Good luck!

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    PK, i wasn't actually planning to use acetone in the dying process...is it necessary? the tutorials on youtube i mentioned last week, didn't use any. I'm also using the liquid RIT.

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

The Prime Directive base figs (Cybertron Leader Prime) maintained their LED's and sounds after washing and painting, but with Dye and acetone....I'm thinking no, bro.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmm....I'm really not sure bud....being a dye rookie myself....each time I have done it, I used the liquid RIT dye, and acetone in my "bath"

I have seen those tuts online that say you don't have to use it....but from what I have been told, and read, if you use acetone, it helps the plastic to take the color better....

I have never tried it with out acetone, so I cannot say for certain....heck, I've only did it twice....

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You may want to PM mattarmsstrong, he died his 4 Horseman, and they turned out pretty sweet.

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *ponder*

Would it be possible to seal up any cracks n screw holes with FIXIT-Sculpt or some other sort of putty? Might get enough of a water-tight finish to prevent any water/acetone from getting in, and the stuff accepts die just as easy, if not easier, than the plastic.

9. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Good suggestion Kouri, but I can't see any of those products providing a water-tight seal.

How long do you plan on submerging the electronics in the acetone bath? How strong will the bath be? The dye itself is harmless; as others have said, just let it dry a day or two before hooking the batteries up. But since most circuit boards are made of epoxy resin, and acetone is made specifically to dissolve resin, I think even a 10:1 water/acetone mix for a few hours could damage something--all it takes is for one connection to be damaged, and the circuit won't work anymore.