Question about IDW continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by repair_bay, Oct 20, 2011.

1. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    So, just wondering, if I want to start reading the ongoing series, will I be confused if haven't all the "-tion" series, or the spotlights? Or AHM for that matter?

I just kinda want to jump on starting with ongoing, but I don't want to be totally confused haha. Thanks!

2. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I'm in the same boat as you, but you easily see by goggleing IDW Transformers and you will see the order

3. repair_bay

Ebay:
    Well, I know mostly what order everything goes in, I was just wondering if I'd be able to skip all the stuff up to AHM and just start with the ongoing series and not be all crazy confused haha

4. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Honestly - yea, if you started with just the Ongoing you will be fine. Here's all the background you will need to know:

- Decepticons invaded Earth and destroyed most of the US.
    - Spike Witwicky shot Megatron in the face and ended that.
    - Cybertron was dead but it's getting better.
    - Earth people are kinda pissed at Cybertronians, Autobot and Decepticon.

Go and enjoy, it reads better as a series than individual issues.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The writers rarely bothered with continuity, so it's sadly not that big of a concern. Even if you read things in the right order, certain events won't make sense, you'll feel like you're missing an issue or two when you aren't, and there will be contradictions everywhere.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm sure you could join at the start of the two new ongoings and be fine from there.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I read everything. The -ion stories, AHM, Heart of Darkness, the Spotlights, etc. pp.

I would not leave out a story. The first stories are not that interesting in Brasnia, but later it gets more interesting and it's better if you have read those stories. Still the new stories sometimes reference something of the old stories, for example having Hunter hanging on wires.

On the other hand you could read everything on TFwiki, but that's not as fun as reading it for yourself. I read most stuff on TFwiki before, but reading the actual comics was much better.

Just take TFwiki as a guide on how to read the comics in which order.

It took me about 4 days to read everything. So it's not that much and the stories are so interesting, they nearly read by themselves and make you easily addicted.

8. repair_bay

Ebay:
    Thanks for all the help, guys! I'll probably start reading the ongoing series for now, and if I really find the need to, I'll go back and read some of the other stuff.

9. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I just bought Infiltration is pretty good its before AHM

10. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    For better or for worse, the way TF comics have been written lately, you can pick up just about any trade from the current ongoing and be good to go without the need for any prior knowledge.

The ongoing hasn't relied much on any of the stories that came before beyond a few callbacks here and there, entirely for the sake of making it easier for new readers to jump on board. So you can start fresh at the beginning of the ongoing and be fine.

11. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

For someone who has a seldom go for comics, I have to say I am quite lost as well. I need to spend more time in front of the PC I guess

12. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Ongoing editors seem to help little. Even the Dotm adaptations have the useful asterisks and footnotes to point a reader back to previous issues. That massively useful editorial annotation has vanished from most contemporary comics.