Question about GDO figures..being Asian Exclusives

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erland, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is something that's been bothering me and I know I must have just missed it and not seen where it was posted but, if GDO stands for "Global Development Organization" then why does everyone think that the "Asian Exclusive" GDO's are not coming out world wide?

It just wouldn't make sense to have them named GDO and not have them come out world wide. I mean it's in the acronym "Global" is right there, the first word... I would figure since it's acronym says Global all figures produced under the GDO line will eventually see a world wide release.

Please fill me in as to why everyone believes the Generations GDO figures are/were "Asian Exclusives".

If your wondering where I got the meaning of GDO it's right here..

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it's because Hasbro said they were going to be Asia exclusives when they were revealed.

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    They're not coming out Worldwide. Hasbro Asia markets, North America, and that's it.

4. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think "global" is just a euphemism for the rest of the world outside of NA, Western Europe, and Japan. I also think that GDO is meant to exploit the growth potential of emerging markets in Asia ex-Japan, particularly China.

5. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    ^^^ Pretty much this. You fixated on "global" and missed "development". Hasbro is apparently trying to cultivate emerging and growing markets across the globe by catering to them first

6. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good points being made. China, as an emerging market with a population having more disposable income to spend these days, can finally afford to buy the very products that they've been making over there themselves. The potential base of 1.3 billion+ new customers is not lost on Hasbro, I'm sure. XD And factor in other countries in the surrounding region like Southeast Asia (Singapore, Philippines, etc.) with a growing TF fanbase and there you have it.

7. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    "exclusive" does not always mean "forever" either. Past history with other releases has shown us that some releases are exclusive only for a short window, sometimes as little as 6 months. Sometimes something may be a store exclusive in one market yet a general release in other markets. In this case the GDO's were exclusive to Asia for a short time frame. Of course that brings up the point that the whole idea of "exclusives" is getting to be a bit silly in a global market.....

8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    This this this. "Global" is one of those marketing terms that's thrown around to mean a market that isn't your home market. In this case, Transformers's home market is here in the USA, so when Hasbro and Hasbro Asia wanted to get into a new market in Asia, they went "Global." It's nothing more than a marketing buzzword, really.

9. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    The rumor that I heard was that sales of these were so soft initially (idk if that's sales through the wholesale or retail marketplace) that they decided to ship some over here.

Remember: that is totally a rumor from an unfounded source ;) 

10. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Good enough for me!

11. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With this type of thinking (not saying your wrong) your implying that Hasbro is now selling it's wares on Takara Tomy's stomping grounds. It's just that TT makes and sells what they want toy wise to their Asian buyers on a regular basis and Hasbro picks and chooses out of what TT slightly modifies them and sells them to NA and UK.

But I guess that makes sense since we have seen things like Hasbro MP-10 showing up in Asia before the US. So basically Hasbro's version of "Global" is marketed to outside of their normal selling area even if it's imposing on their other halves sales area. That's just a dick move on their part.

Takara Tomy = Asia, China, and the Eastern part of the world.
    Harbro = NA and UK

Of course I'm missing places but they fall into their respective areas, I'm not breaking down every part of the world but you get the drift.

12. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I'm sorry, but NO!

I spent a long time in the Philippines and we still had to import Takara TFs from Japan (and they were hella expensive). Most of Asia (plus Australia and New Zealand) is still covered by Hasbro Asia

13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did not know this. I'm just getting back into collecting(dec 2011) and still have a lot to learn. This is why i'm asking these questions.

14. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    My guess is this, there's no XBOX live in China (no Facebook/Youtube/Twitter either) , so obviously there's little to none support of the FOC line in China, so instead of FOC, China gets some G1 deco repaints as a filler line - thus GDO.

Then TRU picked up the line for us, yay.

Or maybe it's just a marketing gimmick. Who knows.

15. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

Takara is Japan only.