Question about G1 Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by StephX77, Dec 16, 2009.

1. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

Can anyone let me know why some Ultra Magnus heads have a blue colored face and others have a silver colored face? Has this figure been KO'd?

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    The face colors were just different versions, nothing more. The toy with rubber tires had silver painted heads and the one with plastic tires didn't, leaving them blue. Both versions are official, neither is a KO. I can't say I've heard of a KO Magnus but there is a diaclone one that's dark blue and red:

[​IMG]

More info on this guy here.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    just to add to DeathStorm's reply, it seems that Hasbro did a cost cutting move by giving G1 UM plastic tires instead of the rubber ones and left off some paint applications, like the silver on his face.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To add to what Seawing said, the cost cutting measure wasn't limited to just Ultra Magnus. Hasbro typically changed things around a bit the second year a figure was available. Plastic wheels instead of Rubber, Plastic feet/chests instead of Metal, Removing select paint apps, etc.

As for Ultra Magnus himself, one of his variants was a KBToys exclusive, which had the blue face, no paint apps on the cab head, no plastic windows on the cab and plastic tires.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? I still have my solid blue Magnus helmet that I got at KB toys decades ago... (Highland Mall Austin Texas). I hated that toy... In the G1 days... you had to have rubber wheels to be awesome.