Question About G1 Reflector Mail Away

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by piranacon2005, Dec 12, 2009.

1. piranacon2005

piranacon2005 Seacon Super Warrior

This is my first post to this site and I apologize if this topic has already been brought up but I have wandered about this for a long time. Does anyone know how the original US released Reflector was mailed out to people? I had one when I was a kid but I don't remember. I've seen a number of other vintage G1 mail away figures(Optimus Prime, Thundercracker, Megatron, etc) that all come in brown boxes with the recipients address on a sticker on the front and Hasbro's return address printed in the upper left corner.

However almost every Reflector that I've seen has just the plain white box, that says "Transformer Camera" in the middle with "12505" above the text and "Made in Japan" in the lower right hand corner. There is no return address or sticker with the recipients address on it. If you want to see exactly what I mean you can take a look at my AFA graded Reflector.

Most of the boxed Reflector's I have seen tend to have a white box that is in very good shape, leading me to think that they were originally mailed out in some type of protective shipping sleeve. However, I have never seen a "sleeve" included with a MIB Reflector on eBay.

I did run across this the other day on eBay. If you can't see the image go to the eBay item page.

[​IMG]

As you can see this one seems to have a piece of brown tape with the recipients address covering the "Transformer Camera" text. it also seems to have Hasbro's return address stamped in teh upper left corner. This can't be the way ALL Reflector's were mailed out otherwise the boxes would all be in pretty bad shape going thru the mailing process, and clearly most of them don't have the return address stamped onto the box.

Does anyone know the story here?

-------------------------------------------

Check out my AFA graded Transformer Collection

2. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    while I can't say much about the original Reflector itself, I can tell you there's a high-quality KO of Reflector out there, white box and all. which would probably explain why you'd see a few (too many) with the white box in excellent shape, if you know what I mean

3. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I have heard that they came in a brown mailer protective sleeve. Basically the overstock of the japanese Reflector insert was used and while it was being shipped for distribution it was put in a white mailer box with the name and product number on the outside. A single piece of tape on each end was applied. Once you sent in the mail away requirements they simply put it in a mailer box and sent it out. I have heard that towards the end they ran out of the inserts and some were sent in baggies inside a plain brown box. Kinda like the omnibots. I cannot confirm this but I have heard it from several sources. As for why no one has the outer mailer box....I don't know? I would think that somewhere someone would have one. Although I have also heard that a lot of the white mailer boxes were not actual shipped but were sold to employees and such. Maybe at the employee store or something. Not sure on that either. I guess what I saying is that I've heard a lot of different stories but it does seem odd that I have not seen a outer mailer box. I know I was not much help at all but.....

4. piranacon2005

Janitor - You can spot the KO box from an authentic one if you know what to look for(unless they have fixed this and released a more accurate KO within the last year).

I have seen pictures of about 100 authentic G1 Reflector boxes in the last 10 years, many before the KO was even released, and many of them are in great condition which is why I speculate that they were not mailed in the white box. There would be damage just from the post office processing the package, not to mention date stamps, return addresses, etc.

I've seen this version with the brown tape a couple of times, but even this seems much rarer than the authentic "plain white box" version.

megamus - If they did run out of white mailer boxes and shipped reflector in a plastic bag with a brown mailer box...that would be incredible to find an example. I had not ever even heard this...since you heard it from multiple sources it may have some truth.

Also maybe if you ordered one from canada in the 80's it came a different way...i just don't know.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    no offense to the OP but Reflector seems to me be one of the figures that makes the least sense to AFA as you can't even see any part of it, ah well to each there own

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    When I got mine in the 80's, it had to have come in another box. My white "Transformers Camera" sleeve is in great condition. There's no way it was shipped without being inside something else.

7. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Hey OP, this might sound stupid. But how do you really know if there's a Reflector inside your AFA graded Reflector box? Yours is misb right?

8. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    my thoughts exactly to me unless you open it it up you can never be 100% sure its in there or of its condition in the box. Even if i had ordered it my self from Hasbro back in the day id still be nervous if it was in there or not

9. piranacon2005

yes it is misb, and i guess short of doing an Magnetic Resonance Image I guess there is no way to make sure it's really in there. There are a lot of Transformers and GI Joes that you can say the same thing about though...scorponok, omega supreme, fortress maximus, metroplex, trypticon, etc...how do you really know that it's in there? I guess it doesnt bother me that much.

10. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    While I did hear this from several sources, as I stated before I have not seen an actual example. I am very skeptical about this as I heard this a number of years ago and still have not seen it. As to your idea about Canada.... hmmm... That sounds very interesting and probable. I remember that Canada had a lot of differences with mail order items in the Star Wars universe. Stands to reason that it would be just as verse in Transformers. Very good point.

11. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    alrighty then and your correct and not knowing for the molds you mentioned is one of the reasons i do not care for AFA figures no plastic prisons for my bots and cons

12. piranacon2005

13. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

This isn't meant condescendingly (or anything close to it), but you have to remember that mail order was a lot less sophisticated in the 1980s than it is today. While I don't have the original box anymore, I'm pretty sure that Reflector "Transformer Camera" boxes were sent in generic brown shipping boxes with Hasbro's address stamped in the upper left corner if the boxed Optimus Primes and Jazzes I've seen are any indication.

Also, I happen to own a complete Canadian Reflector. I ordered him from Hasbro as a kid and he looks no different than the regular one.

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

and in the case of anything with a metallic finish, likely lots of little golden plastic flakes.

the MSIB market bewilders me on so many levels - i have total respect for the zen-like self-discipline of anybody who can resist the temptation just to have a little sneaky peek but i do wonder if they're not slightly mental.

i feel all my Christmas presents when my missus has gone to bed too. i am weak. :( 

15. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Man you guys have me thinking about the AFA grade, the boxes being in a plain box was always odd to me.
    A friend had Reflector and I seem to remember he got it after school in a brown box with a tape strip across the middle, but that was a long time ago.

16. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I have what might be the most prestine MISB Grand Maximus in the universe. My friend and I sat there with a knife one day about to cut the tape, they were all chanting "DO IT, DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIITTT" I almost did. Discipline indeed.

About the reflector. I have a mail-away optimus prime that came with my reflector (Hasblow never sent the Megatron that my parents paid for, thanks a lot ya damn thieves) and he came in a brown cardboard box with prime in hs styro slid into it. So mail aways did come in brown boxes, but I just don't remember how reflector arrived. I only kept the styro.

17. piranacon2005

So I finally solved the mystery of how Reflector was shipped. Apparently I am the only one that stays up thinking about this kind of stuff...lol. Anways Reflector did Indeed come in a brown mailer box. One showed up on eBay a few months back with both its white mailer box and outer brown mailer box. I was lucky enough to win the auction and I will post some more detailed pics of the box and shipping label/etc to my Superstar Collector page when I have time. It almost made me cry when the guy told me he had it misb along with a misb mail away mirage and he opened them both a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------
    Check out my G1 AFA/MISB/Loose Collection

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Mine's authentic and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

19. piranacon2005

[​IMG]

Well leaders matrix pretty much nailed it spot on, tape strip and all, pretty good memory...I posted a lot more pictures of it on my Superstar Collector page if anyone is interested in seeing them.