Question about G1 Mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BScorpinok75, May 1, 2010.

1. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
  2. AMG

AMG Old School

I definitely wouldn't throw him out. Sell him as a junker, I'm sure someone will buy him.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    only for spare parts or his acessories id think, so id say minimal value outside the Radicon community. Especially if he doesn't have his acessories.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you still have the broken part, it can be fixed, then it would be worth more. Otherwise sell it as a junker bot.

5. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pitch it. Mirage waists can be easily fixed with a wood screw where the pin used to be, and if done right the only way to ever tell would be to take the figure apart. Rather than shitcanning it I'd try and fix it, or pass it on to someone who will.

6. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I'll try and fix it. If you dont want it, I'll certainly give him a good home where he will be fixed and played with. Just food for thought. PM if you want details. :) 

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    since he is a "lost" mold, every attempt should be made to save him before tossing that figure. if he can be put in alt mode and displayed w/o the pin, i would do something like that myself- or put him in a G1 box.

just saying, he's worth keeping somehow, imo

8. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    ^^ Yeah I am considering trying to fix this guy up. Then again if the offer was right I wouldn't mind letting him go either as I'm scaling down my G1 collection. Decisions, decisions.

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By broken at the pin which pin do you mean? If you're talking about the peg that holds the top and bottom half's together that's an easy fix. Value wise it creates a moral Grey area though. If you fix it properly the only way to know it was broken is to disassemble it. But to sell it at the "going rate" without disclosing that it has been repaired is pretty dishonest. Not saying you would do that but somewhere down the line someone probably will.

10. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would suggest a small bolt and a locking nut (the kind with the plastic rim that stay put unless you undo it intentionally) with a pair of washers over a wood screw. It can be tightened to the right point to be solid without worries about unscrewing and without any damage at all to the toy.

11. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heres a method I use for all the breaks like this (Mirage top & bottom, Shockwave elbows, etc). This method assumes you have all the broken pieces.

What you'll need:
    1) the broken peg
    2) super glue
    3) a Dremel with a small drill bit (around 1/16th or so)
    4) a small screw long enough to travel at least 2/3rds the distance of the peg

1) Disassemble everything so your down to just the pieces you need.

2) Take the broken peg and figure out which way it needs to be placed to go back exactly where it broke. You want all the seems from the break to line up.

3) Lightly super glue the broken peg back on. Again make sure all the seems are lines up and it's a smooth tight fit. Keep the piece under pressure for at least 5 minutes. Then let it set for about an hour or so.

4) Take your Dremel drill from the top down through the center of your repaired peg

5) Lightly apply some super glue to one side of the screw you will be putting in the hole you just drilled.

6) Screw in the screw into the hole as tightly as you can.

If everything has gone right you now have a peg that is at the very least as strong as it was new. No need for washers or bots because you have simply repaired, and reinforced the original structure. The super glue you applied to the screw will act as loctite securing the screw from backing out.

If you are repairing something that has no clearance above the peg you can use a countersunk screw. Simple use a larger drill bit then you used to drill your hole to create a countersink in the screw hole, and install the countersunk screw.

If you're interested in this I can post pictures.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  12. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Please do post pics!

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, Mirage is a lost mold? Are there any others that haven't been re-issued for that reason? That really sucks, Mirage is AWESOME!

14. juise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought I took better pics but you can get the idea from these. These are pics of my Shockwave elbow repair. Its the same process for Mirage though.

Here are your two pieces of the peg
    [​IMG]

Line up and glue the top of the peg back on and let it dry for about an hour
    [​IMG]

Take your drill and drill through the center of the peg. Try not to go all the way through the bottom of what your drilling into though.
    [​IMG]

Apply a light coat of super glue to the screw and fasten it tightly in the hole.
    [​IMG]

Good as new!

This fix works so well that I am selling my unbroken Shockwave and keeping my repaired one! I used this same prcess to repair my mirage, and a similar method to repair a broken arm on MP Starscream.

F.Y.I. No I didnt break all my toys I got them that way :) 

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  15. BScorpinok75

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Sounds easy enough. My problem now is I dony currently own a dremel.

16. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

Then go buy one...

One of my best and most used tools among all that I own. Works for every project I have especially when I was into modifying cars.

Walmart carries a Black and Decker rotary tool for about $25 and comes with a few basic bits. You can then buy an accessory pack of bits/attachments on the cheap and have a nice little tool system.

No need to spend the money on the "Dremel" brand name.

Mark

17. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Never, never throw out a tf. Even if it's just a part of a tf like an arm or something, never throw them out. They can always be used for trading or customs. I've completed many accessories by trading broken tfs to people who were more than happy to take my junkers. I'd buy him right now if I was budgeted for it.

18. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Sell him to me. I'll fix him up. :D 

19. novabeam10

novabeam10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *whew* I am saving this thread, I got a small gg1 lot coming and there is a broken waist mirage there...I am hoping both pin parts are there and by luck I picked up a rotary tool for 15$ at a local auto store on clearance *crosses fingers*

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    "Explore! Explore! Repair! Repair!"

*looks up at replies*

:)