Question about G1 European "Classic" line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TechnoBot, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TechnoBot

TechnoBot Well-Known Member

I was looking here at the list of toys re-released in Europe in the early 90s in the gold box packaging. One thing I wondered was why they chose to re-release the particular toys they did. For example, they released about 8 autobot cars in 1990 and 91 but why no Smokescreen, Hot Rod, Kup etc? I'm not suggesting they should have put those guys out again, I'm just wondering why they made the particular decisions they did. Why Octane over say, Blitzwing? Can we infer anything about these choices, like perhaps they sold better (or more quickly) than others or that they were viewed as better toys by the people making the decisions?

Also, does anyone here ever remember seeing the gold box re-release of Optimus on toy shelves at the time?

2. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.

News Credits:
    No idea why they reissued the toys they did. Based on sales maybe?

Also:

[​IMG]

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think they picked Prowl and Ironhide for reissue as they barely saw any distribution the first time in the UK.

Re: that list I would add that I never saw the Wave 2 Cyberjets on a UK card but there was plenty about on Italian cards and also many American G2 toys (that didn't have pink windows) eventually showed up like the Aquaspeeders.

Also Autorollers were released twice once in a box and once on a card.

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/ima..._Hasbro+Transformers+Auto+Rollers+Dirtbag.jpg

http://www.superhappycashcow.com/pic/Transformers 2/G2/excavators2.jpg

[Like Pyro/Spark & Clench/Colossus they also had some packaging variations in Europe]

I think the UK ones were the boxes and the carded ones were American Imports that showed up later.

4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It is surprising that we didn't get the repaints like Bluestreak, Red Alert and Ratchet from the Classic Heroes. Or better yet, just go nuts and give us Stepper, Artfire and Diaclone Slicer.

5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Diaclone Slicer? Do you mean Marlboor or am I missing something?