Question about essay writing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AniProwl, Oct 14, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    What is a good website that checks your essay for plagiarism?

Would this be one teachers use?
    The Plagiarism Checker

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I am a teacher and I mainly use Google. Its really easy for me to put in a phrase if I suspect plagiarism and get a hit back.

3. trump

trump WWBD?

Just write a bunch of random crap. It will get you an A, guaranteed!

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You don't need to worry about plagerism if you write it yourself, and properly quote your sources.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This. *goes back to writing Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis for comp.*

6. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I tend not to check and just let it slide.

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
  8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just put quotes around it and write a references or bibliography page.

9. Boggs6ft7

Another trick is to study your sources, make yourself familiar with the material, then put all that stuff aside and write your paper. That pretty much guarentees you are not plagiarizing, but you still need to cite your sources.

This of course take forethought and cannot be done at the last minute.

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Funny stotr about the essay I'm currently writing. It's a mid-term essay and the teacher made a mistake of assigning some of us the wrong one. I personally talked to him about and what he said is that all that research I did for the topic he gave me was the wrong one and he expects another one in two days (tomorrow)

It's about Kafka and chapter 9 of his book The Trial. This is what I have so far.

Franz Kafka’s most critically acclaimed book The Trial certainly has many layers of meaning which not even the most scientific analysis can decode, be it psychoanalytically or, more recently linguistically oriented. The probably inevitable result of the novel’s multi-level makeup is that certain components are stressed while others are not. Specifically, Chapter 9 “In the Cathedral” depicts the relationship between the citizen and the Law.
    While walking down an aisle in a cathedral, the protagonist John K. tells a chaplain that he trusts him, because John feels he can speak openly to the chaplain more than anyone else connected with the Court. The chaplain describes an allegory that is supposed to be description of this fantasy after he replies that John is misled. Drawn from the writings about the Law, the brief tale tells of a man from the country who tries to gain admittance at an entrance to the Law. The fellow is always denied by the doorkeeper. However, the man finds out the entrance was meant only for him just before he dies.
    The chaplain and John talk about several possible interpretations of the story-- who is obedient to whom and who is deluded. The chaplain simply dismisses John when he says that he should probably go. John inquires why the chaplain was recently so friendly and helpful and now so indifferent. The chaplain reminds John again that he (the chaplain) is associated with the Court, and that "the Court wants nothing from you. It receives you when you come and dismisses you when you go." At last, the two walk away from each other in silence.
    Kafka's allegory of the approach to the Law is to have some real meaning of truth about the relationship between the citizen and the Law, or perhaps the human condition in general. What does it really tell other than the tragedy of one man's useless efforts? It is a Kafka story in miniature: a gnomic origin of everlasting observations and assumption.
    John K. remarks to consider the doorkeeper flawless is to accept everything he says as the truth despite the fact that at least one of his statements is untrue. The doorkeeper seems to be the government. The way the doorkeeper as well as the government tells the people to accept everything for what it is even if the statement is a lie.
    The chaplain offers John K. the summarization of several well-known explanations, but clearly he is only touching the top layer. The chaplain's most noteworthy comment concludes in his response to the doorkeeper"...it is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary." which seems to be the function of the Law. It’s divine principle within the Court that the functionaries--and eventually the accused men--leave themselves down. John acknowledges the fact that “a melancholy thought turns lying into a universal principle” The universal lie of necessity--the most destructive of incarceration—presents potential challenges to the system of ruling. Justice can be ruined when the Law seizes this necessity as its sculpting.
    The dreadful fact of The Trial, and of its allegory, is that men looking for justice eventually accept the warped universal principle of lying and its twisted criteria even if they are put forward to the need of their own exile or death.

I checked Google and the plagiarism checker website. Absolutely plagiarism free . I hope. Can someone else check as well?

11. Boggs6ft7

No offense, but I doubt anyone would think it plagiarized because the grammar is so bad.

Well its not awful, but you have some glaring mistakes.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My uni uses turnitin.

I, for one, have a bit of a problem with being compelled to submit my work to Turnitin, which they then keep, and use as part of their plagiarism search database. I'm giving them my work, which they then use to make money, and I get nothing in return. So I object to it... but unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it... yet.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Turnitin is pretty standard.

But now if your teacher googles your essay, you're going to get dinged for plagiarizing some guy named AniProwl.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aren't you like 12 or something?

Normally it is incredibly obvious if a student has plagiarized sections or paragraphs and a quick visit to google reveals all.

15. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I checked google and it hasn't come across any similar essays at all.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Not if you rape your thesaurus enough...