Customs: Question about enlarging parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SkyQuake, Feb 3, 2007.

1. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Howdy!

I was wondering if there was a way to enlarge something (say, a weapon) to about twice its size. I know you would have to mold the original, and I guess the mold would expand after being made? I think I've heard of it being done before, but what materials were used? Any help would be appreciated.

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

There was a recent thread (past couple days maybe??) that dealt on this same general subject.

Google "Pantograph". A 2D pantograph is an instrument that you can use to duplicate a 2D image and scale it up at the same time. You could even make a simple pantograph yourself with little more than some strips of wood and some bolts. Perhaps you could trace the outline and details of the part using the Pantrograph to draw the scaled up image as you trace the original, and then use the scaled up drawing to carve or build a mold to make scaled up replicas. This would be a really ghetto way of getting a scaled up copy of an item. The "pros" would probably use a pantograph milling machine to mill the scaled up part in 3D as the original is being traced. Another option, also expensive, would be to use a scanning system to scan the part and generate a 3D model on a PC, and then use some type of 3D CAD/CAM/rapid prototyping machine to produce the part in whatever scale you desire (within reason, I suppose)

All that B.S. being said, I would just google "pantograph" and go from there. Hope that at least gives you a few ideas!

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are materials developed for just this purpose, but you have to be able to make cast molds.

Here's a small guide for this sort of thing: http://www.fwooshnet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18979

You'd have to make two molds. One would be a cast of the original object, in which you'd fill with the expanding compound. And then you'd make another mold of the expanded object, which you'd fill with your hard plastic resin.

4. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Hmmm... That Hydro Span looks like it might be my best option. I'm assuming that it doesnt shrink after drying. So, I guess I could make a Hydro Span mold, then use normal resin compounds to cast what I'd want? I've never molded, or cast anything before, but it's worth a shot.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Huh. I've never seen that Hydrospan stuff before...looks very interesting!

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've seen it, but never had enough of a use for it to justify that kind of expenditure. I mean, the mold making silicon rubber is expensive enough as it is, I don't want to have to use it twice ON TOP OF the cost of this expanding stuff.

7. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Hydro Span is pretty cool stuff, been using it off and on for a while now along with another product called Reduce it, which does the opposite of Hydro Span.

The only problem is that your mold costs basically double to achieve your final result.

Also keep in mind the stuff is tempermental, it has to be mixed perfectly. If your not already experienced with molding and casting, chances are this product is not for you.

8. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Well, I've went ahead, and ordered it. And I've never made a part or mold before. So, it could be an expensive experiment. I think what I'll do is make a mold of several objects at once, then expand that mold (takes two weeks according to the instructions), and then make the new parts.

Anyone have any suggestions on the kind of material I should poor into the Hydro Span mold once it is expanded? This could get messy! :) 

My intention is to use a PVC pipe coupling, and a piece of glass. I will then glue the pieces to be copied onto the glass, and poor the Hydro Span on top of them. I guess I should get some modeling clay to place around the PVC coupling.

9. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

You should be making a rubber mold of your original part first, then pouring the HydroSpan into that. The remolding the enlarged HydroSpan part and using urethane casting plastic to make your copies.

What are you trying to mold anyway?

10. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Well, I'd kind of like it to be a surprise (if successful). I was thinking of doing a Hydrospan mold first, because it might help prevent bubbles from rising to the surface of the final plastic shape. Instead, (since the objects would be facing down) bubbles would go upward toward the opposite (non-facing) side of the shape, and not be seen on its outer surface.

Since I am unfamiliar with these material, does that sound like a good strategy? Thanks.

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Have you tried Enzyte? It worked for bob....

12. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Bob has issues with bubbles? OW!