Question about Energon Combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I have the Classics Devastator but was looking at toys in the line to replace the repaints with. Would Demolishor fit well as a piece of Devastator. I'm not too worried about the deco, more concerned if he fits in as a member of the constructicons.

I was also considering Signal Flare but dont know the sizes of these and whether they fit. If anyone's got pictures feel free to post.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those don't have the connections to combine. You would need to do some serious kitbashing. Plus Demolisher would probably be too big.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Demolishor would fit in fine, though you would have to do some customizing to add him to the Devastator combined form. Also, his green tends to be a bit darker than the other greens in the set.

As for size, it's really not so bad. He is bigger than the others... but he just seems like the hulking strong guy (and he's still shorter than Steamhammer, so size should really not be an issue). Considering that his alt-mode is one of those massive dump trucks, he's probably pretty close to proper scale with the energon constructicons.

zmog

4. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Signal Flare is a basic figure, and I don't understand what it has to do with Devastator at all. It's not a construction vehicle, and it's blue. Offshoot and the movie repaint are green, but I know firsthand that Offshoot's green isn't a shade similar to Devastator's green or even Demolishor.

As far as looks go, Demolishor would fit in somewhat with the Constructicons, but obviously can't combine.

5. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

All the limbs ARE basics. Offshoot could become a cement mixer instead of a ray gun (what ever he actually is) but it would be very hard to add a connector socket to him. You could make a different kind of connector. You would have to paint the green to match Devastator.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think Demolishor would fit at all, even without his dumptruck bed he's still bigger then the rest of the limbs. Signalflare on the other hand would be ok size-wise as he's a basic like the other limbs. But he would need *major* modifications to be made into a construction vehicle. I suggest looking into the Tank combiner limb as it would only need a simple mod to be turned into a Bulldozer and it already comes in two different shades of green.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dimmlosiher wouldn't fit at all.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I didn't bring up the size to make some point about Signal Flare not fitting in. That part's only because Nerdling didn't know.

Signal Flare and his cohorts are supposedly communication vehicles. In reality, they're copyright-evasive maser tanks, basically.

9. SMOG

Is there a specific design these figures are imitating?

I just thought it was great that there were Transformers that turned into those weird laser-tank vehicles that are always harrying Godzilla in the movies. :) 

Funny how there are certain vehicles that are standard fare in Japanese sci-fi, even though they don't really exist? Like, how about all those drill-tanks and double drill-tanks that seem to be in every mecha show? What's with this Japanese obsession with drills anyway? I hope it's not a phallic obsession! :) 

Though on BW2 Galvatron, it certainly is. That figure is like if David Cronenberg and H.R. Geiger had a transformer baby...

zmog

10. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry. It seemed like the "size" part was the first of your other reasons it wouldn't work. It could have been typed differently to make it more clear. Again, Sorry.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    No, they seem to be some cross between a type 66 maser cannon, and a type 90.

Also, has anyone ever noticed how similar Energon Kickback is to the MBAW-93 from Godzilla vs Mothra?

Coupled with Cruellock looking like Gino's robotic cousin, something tells me the designers for energon liked kaiju movies.

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

So did I! Having Cruellock's design so clearly similar to Zilla, the American Godzilla, just made the whole thing perfect.

But as far as Signal Flare's design is concerned, it's not closely based on any maser weapon in particular. Notably, most of the masers seen in the films are two-part vehicles, with the actual tank unit being pulled along. Although figures and such, these are the quickest references I could find to the various designs.

http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS09119
    http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS09098
    http://www.hlj.com/product/BCL2398

The Heisei Godzilla films had a single-unit maser, definitely in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, but I don't have a picture right now. I'll try getting one from the film. It's actually quite bulky and would not be a bad start for a more militaristic maser TF.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Would this be the one you mean?
    http://tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/dag-mb96.htm
    Not a maser cannon, but a freezing weapon. The early stages of Kiryu's Absolute zero cannon?

14. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

15. SMOG

You mean like how the designers for Cybertron/GF liked american comic books? :) 

zmog

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Wow. :lol 

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Eh? Colour me intrigued

18. SMOG

My memory is fuzzy now, but there are a few characters in Cybertron that could be seen to evoke superheroes from mainstream american comic books.

The most obvious example is Jackshot/Overhaul, who is clearly modelled on Wolverine... a short, rugged outdoorsy brawler with triple claws on each hand and a feral disposition. Already that's close, but combined with some of the design touches on the robot mode, it's pretty undeniable. Even the face sculpt recalls Wolverine's 80's mask.

(I even remember someone did a nice repaint once of Overhaul and Landmine as Wolverine and Colossus. It was pretty funny)

Megatron has a vehicle mode that owes a strong debt to the Batmobile. The resemblance is cemented not only by the Megs' Batmanesque ears/horns, but also the 3 bladed fins that pop out of one of his weapons and can be mounted on his arm (like Batman's gloves).

There's also something Batman-like going on with Sideways... though that's a more general bat motif. His jet mode sure makes me think of some version of the Batwing.

I think there were a couple of other minor examples, but I can't think of them now. I suppose if you were stretching it, you could make a case for Crumplezone being based visually on the incredible Hullk too. :) 

It's hardly a theme that runs through the whole line, but I think it shows a conscious superhero influence on some of the designs.

zmog

19. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So do the Energon Combaticons, Aerialbots and Constructions interact with one another a la Scramble City style? Can you put an Aerialbot on to Bruticus Maximus?

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Yep they can. In one of the later episodes of energon they show Superion using a limb or two from Constructicon.