Customs: Question About Dying Painted Plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Jan 12, 2009.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Quick question for the Radicons.... when one dyes plastic that has paint apps on it, do those paint apps take the dye as well?

I ask because I've got some parts I want to dye black, and they have paint apps on them. I've tried removing the paint with alcohol, but it is being remarkably stubborn. I'm wondering if it is worth all the scrubbing and soaking, or if I'd be fine just dunking the pieces in a dye bath, paint and all.

Thanks in advance for any experience or advice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I know that the paint usually does take the dye... though to what degree can vary quite a bit depending on the paint.

Generally expect the dye to "tint" the paint, not obscure it.

zmog

3. WhiteMocha

Excellent, thanks for the reply, SMOG! I wondered about that, if it would tint the paint. That makes sense.

May have to just bite the bullet and just test it out. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    exactly right. you'll not get it black, just a darker color.. silver tends to turn brown. you really need to scrub that paint off.

5. WhiteMocha

Excellent, thanks Redline! Good to know. At least I know the extra headache is worth it... I don't want dingy paint apps all over the figure.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

6. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

if the paint apps are like the stuff on legends tfa bb's stripes,you can scrape them off with minimal damage

7. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

A couple of hopefully useful bits of info...

To get rid of paint apps, I just dunk the pieces in a yogurt container full of 70 or 90 % alcohol (usually available at your local large drug store) for a day or so. Then rub it off with paper towels soaked in alcohol as well. (otherwise the towel just absorbs the alcohol that's on the plastic- it still works, but much less quickly)
    Works wonders.

In my experience, silver paint apps soaked in black dye turn a gorgeous dark gold colour; I love my classics Galvatron with his dark gold apps!

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Take a look at my Animated Ghost Rider custom made from Oilslick. I removed none of the paint apps that were on the original Oilslick toy, all I did was dye the whole figure black, and add the orange and red paint apps.

You can see the color that the tailpipes changed to using the black dye....they went from that "grrenish gold" to a nice dark bronze looking color.

As others have said, the factory paint apps will just change colors....you wont really know what you'll end up with until you actually do it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009