Customs: Question about dye and acetone.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by planetjacker, Apr 7, 2007.

1. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have some parts of classic starscream that just don't seem to want to take the dye so I picked up some acetone to add to the mix. Now comes the problem. I have read the sticky here and on transtopia and unless I missed it neither says how much acetone to add. Can someone who uses acetone give me some pointers on how much to put in?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    man, I'm going to go ahead and tell you its still not going to want to take the dye really at all. I ruined some seeker forearms/hands, and luckily the feet were only barely warped as I had to keep dyeing them, with more than usual acetone and heat to get them to take the color as they're SO dense. as far as how much, I usually just put about 3 capfulls to a batch.

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I haven't been able to find the magic ratio either, but let me give you some advice--DON"T touch the plastic with your fingers once you've removed and rinsed the plastic. Let it sit for awhile before touching it with your fingers, or you could get finger-print impressions in the canopy, as the point of the acestone is to soften the plastic. I mucked up a canopy once from doing that.

4. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Fortunately I'm not dying the hands feet or canopy, those will be painted.

5. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

my latest dye attempt Pestulence
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=128822

I soaked it 99% isoproyl alcohol for 12 hours then washed off with water.

Heated up the dye 1 bottle of liquid rit dye and 1 pakcet of the powder stuff with about 1/4 cup of water. Mix and heat in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Then mix in acetone about 1/8 - 1/4 of the small bottle. Then place the parts in the dye and let soak for 8 to 10 hours.

Then wash off all parts reheat the dye the same way and add a little more acetone still about 1/8 - 1/4 of the small bottle and let soak again for 8 to 10 hours.

Wash parts and repeat one more time but for the third time add no acetone reheat and soak fo 8 to 10 hours and now afetr you wash it it should of taken the dye very well at this point

6. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Your Pestilence looks great but if it takes more than 15 or 20 minutes to get the dye to take then forget it. I add ,up to, 1/3 a bottle of acetone to my dyes and unless its a part that is too large to fit in my strainer spoon, I dip it in and out of the dye and then (not in the dye)let it sit ,until dry, before rinseing it.
    Black is the easiest color to get. Its changing other colors to your desired color thats the hardest. I just tried to get red to dark green but it came out almost black, but you could still see a hint of red.

I do mine on a gas stove. I mix the dye water and acetone before heating. I then heat it until the mix starts to boil and then turn down the heat. I then dip my parts with a plastic strainer spoon. If I have a large part, I drop it in the mix but I constantly stir it, to keep the part from over heating on the bottom and warping.

As far as canopys go, I haven't been able to effect them color wise or with finger prints. The clear canopys are very dense plastic thus no color change.

I have read that the wing joint of Starscream doesn't like to take the dye but the rest of it has taken it okay. What parts didn't take on yours, Planetjacker?

7. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The more you add the better it takes

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

keep in mind that the acetone does NOTHING to the polypropylene parts. These parts are the ones that aren't painted and are usually parts the move around a lot, like ball joints, wing joints, etc....

9. planetjacker

News Credits:
    My wing joints took extremely well without acetone. The various wings and main jet body are being troublesome. After adding acetone the wings are doing better but not great (read slowly). Just to throw it out there I am going from the original grey to purple.