Fan Art: Question about Dreamwave Coloring/Shading style

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by lemonymous, Jul 13, 2007.

1. lemonymous

lemonymous Member

Hey all:

I've been looking around the boards and on other websites for an answer to this question and i'm not having a lot of luck. I'm hoping someone knows the answer directly or knows where I can find it.

I'm a big fan of Dreamwave's Cinematic coloring style, and I'm looking to find out how they did it. My group and I that are currently working on a series of comic books are very interested in doing ours in the same style, as it looks almost as if it came direct as a screen shot from a high-budget animated movie. We want something that feels epic and broad like that.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts, I'd much appreciate it. I do realize that it requires certain software but we have a lot of that. We just don't know how best to utilize it.

Thanks!
    Ender

2. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In terms of HOW they made it so good... well ask some of the guys who worked for them who are around here sometimes or look through DevArt pages to find Dreamwave artists. Guys like Josh, Espen Grundertjern, Rob Ruffalo, Eric Burns are all over the web.

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    You basically need pixel based image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, or Corel Painter. For the cell shaded look, which you are going for, its centered around flat shapes. Lay down a base color, use the polygonal lasso or regular lasso to outline the shade you want on top, select a color, then fill. Same with highlights. The easiest way to do this is to make a layer above your original document, and set it to multiply. Then color away. There are more detailed steps in doing so, and some can be found online, or in books such as the DC Comics Guide to coloring comics and lettering, and Antarctic Press' How to color Comics.

Its always beneficial to know how color works, and how lighting affects shade, and mood. If you are well versed in traditional art, then it is to your advantage. Basically the more you know by hand, the more easier it will be to transfer what you know to digital. The computer is just a tool, and makes everything easy, however it also makes mistakes much more obvious. The more you know your color theory, how to mix colors, what colors react to what, how lighting works in reality, the more better off you will be.

Basically for cell shading you would start out cleaning your scanned in black and white linework. After that, you lay in your flat colors. Then your shades. Then highlights. Then the "extra" stuff(layer effects, airbrush gradiation above shades for transition, extreme highlight, airbrush enhancement to highlights or shades, et al).

Hope that helps. Here are two links to get you started:
    Manga Revolution Tutorials and Polykarbon

4. lemonymous

lemonymous Member

This is WONDERFUL! And I thank you so much for your time!

I won't be doing the art myself. I am, however, doing the writing and, I guess, in a way, the "directing". I have a specific style for what I want and want to be able to provide my artists with the tools to do so.

This has been very helpful and I'm grateful. Is it okay if I ask for minor pointers in the future?

Thank you!

Ender

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your welcome! Sure man, ask away, I'm always down to help!

6. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

I did a tutorial on cel coloring a year or so ago. You can find it below. I'm not sure if it's really the Dreamwave style you're looking for, but I hope it helps:

http://www.tfarchive.com/fandom/colouring/

- GWX