Question about Dark Awakening vs. Return of OP?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bluestreak76, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I was watching Dark Awakening the G1 episode where Optimus Prime is reanimated as sort of a Zombie...at the end of the episode hes a mess, one of his arms is blown off...part of his face and torso are gone and well hes just really messed up...(As a kid when this aired, Optimus was my fav so this ep. really got to me). In the Return of Optimus Prime when the Humans find and recover Optimus Prime's Body its still sitting at the controls to the ship but he's MINT...not a scratch on him. WTF is up with this? were the animators high? So much for continuity cause it just dont make sense....yeah I watched em back to back last week and was like WTF?

2. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

g1 was full of animation errors. If memory serves me correctly, the Quintessons reactivated OP right? Maybe they cleaned him up before bringing him back.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  4. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    It was just bad animation/continuity errors. G1 was full of them, though this one always bothered me, even as a kid. In my opinion, its probably the worst offender in regards to the G1 errors.

5. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd only seen G1 season 1 and the movie before I bought the DVD sets a year or two ago, so I don't really have any G1 nostalgia, but I had tears in my eyes during Dark Awakening.

And then I believe I actually went "Hubbagwah?!" when TRoOP started. That error, along with the rest of the episode, completely ruined Dark Awakening for me.

6. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

Yeah heres another continuity Error for you.

When Rodimus Prime removes the Matrix from his chest in Dark Awakening he Reverts back to Hot Rod....but in several scenes after that he continues to look like Rodimus....AND in Return of Optimus Prime....Optimus yanks out the Matrix and Rodimus doesnt revert LOL....and remains Rodimus until the final scene when he is shown as Hot Rod. ROFLMAO....the animators had to have been on something to miss all this.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

It's a stretch but here's my take:

The end of Dark Awkening was what the other Autobots believed to have happened to Optimus Prime.

How did he get "fixed" onboard before the Humans discovered him?

Being an Autobot Flag Ship, it had an onboard computer similar to the Ark's Teletraan 1.

"Repair! Repair!"

Optimus for a second time gets hits with the repair beam, but since he was dead only the body got repaired.

The story writing was a little worse. Rodimus Prime never figured out he could have solved the Hate Plague to begin with. I think that's why I enjoy Dr. Smooth's "Rude Awakening" so much. The profanity is over the top, but it's how TROOP should have been. :lol 

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was one of the reasons why I went from loving Return of Optimus Prime when I was a kid, to really disliking it when I grew up and actually watched all of Season 3. :( 

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Optimus Prime drops the pretender to the throne with one punch. That alone marks TRoOP Part 2 as the finest episode of any TF series ever.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As others have said, this is a pretty light error compared to some in the G1 cartoon! Series was riddled with 'em.

11. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

In my humble opinion the prime we see in Dark Awakening was NOT the real Prime but was a clone or duplicate that was made up to look like the famous Autobot hero that died in the movie. The Prime that is found by Jessica Morgan was the real prime set adrift by the Quintesons to avoid suspisions.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The actual physical state of Prime isn't really that big a deal to me - I recognize it as an animation error, and it doesn't affect the *plot*, since he gets rebuilt and repaired in the course of the episode anyway, which is presumably when the damage was actually *supposed* to be repaired. It doesn't actually *matter*. The BIG error to me is that in RoOP, Prime's drifting towards a sun that's about to naturally go nova (that being the reason Morgan and Swofford are there), while in DA, he's charging through a barrage of Quintesson laser fire in order to trip a device that will artificially cause the sun to explode. THAT's the big disconnect.