Customs: Question about combiner ethics...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

As you may or may not know, i''ve been working on salvaging some of my old projects, and i've come across 2 old combiners: Classics and Animated Menasor. Now, my Classics Menasor is a complete and utter cheat, it's has a modded Metroplex/Primus hybrid frame to which the others attach to as 'shoulder and shin pads'.

My Animated Menasor is different, however, and all it's parts work in some way in alternate modes as well as combiner mode. However, i'm considering a design change, which would involve a big part of the combiner not being used in any other mode, i.e. it would be a useless piece whenever it wasn't being used for combiner mode.

Now, i want my Animated Menasor to be the culmination of all my Gestalts so far, that being when i undercompensated with Fallen's Force (topples over due to ball joints), and Classics Menasor (really sturdy frame, but a complete cheat), so i want it to be as close to a true gestalt as it can possibly be, allowing for parts forming, but would it be considered a cheat if I implemented the change?

For the record, I'm taking cues from Sentinalsupreme's Animated Menasor (thanks mate!), and the design change in question would involve the 'Super Mode Backpack thingy' from Cyb. Optimus Prime being used as a Gestalt 'weapons pack'. The backpack is completely optional, the combiner works with or without it, which is why i'm asking, i don't want to add optional parts if said parts would be considered cheating.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I find "cheating" to be a very strong word when it comes to this topic. Build it however you'd like. I mean, who are you building this for exactly? Are you seeking some form of approval with the design you choose to implement? Just curious.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well it's purely for me, so yeah, i was leanign towards the "build it how i want it" mentality, but i just wanted to know where was the community's line on what would be 'okay', just to sort of...well, sway me either way.

As a side note:, i getting the pics now, so thread ofr said Animated Menasor soon.

I guess i should specify the main reason i ask is that the part in question is completely optional, and i really really want to make a combiner that's not a cheat, unlike my first two. So while i want to add this, i value the 'no cheat' mentality highly for this combiner, and was wondering if this would break it or not, as the cheat line is not very well defined.

4. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

More weapons = WIN!

I personally think that as long as the combined mode looks good then anything can go, this includes partsforming, extra peices, weapons packs, kibble, and even a mix of universes.
    Just as long as its done in a tasteful manor.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I agree. Built it however you can get it to work.

As long as it looks good and you bring new ideas to the combiner table, I couldn't care less how you go from individuals to gestalt.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

My standards for combiners aren't ridiculously high. I really don't mind partsforming, kibble, etc. I understand that people prefer seeing something new - which is great - but there are various formulas that work with and without the added parts. There really isn't a right or wrong way to create them. I've yet to attempt a combiner project. If I do, there will probably be some partsforming involved. I'll do whatever it takes to achieve something that I'm satisfied with.