Customs: Question about cleaning figures

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Mar 9, 2012.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I've read in the tutorials that you're supposed to wash figures in soapy water before applying primer and paint, but how exactly are you supposed to wash them?

Do you just rinse them off, or scrub them, or what?

What's best used to clean them with to prevent flaking the factory paint?

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I've never washed my toys so I can't say for sure, but I always thought the cleaning was only supposed to be done on the areas that were going to be painted, so the factory paint wouldn't be a concern...

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're referring to washing the figure/parts off after using soapy water, what I do is just rinse the parts in the sink with the pullout spray after I've let the figure sit in the soapy water overnight (or however long I choose to soak parts). After I've rinsed all of the parts, I simply let them dry off.

As far as factory paint is concerned, this is not a process I employ if the goal is to keep the factory paint on. This whole process presupposes that I am altering the color to the parts by painting them a different color.

4. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

So if there are areas that aren't going to be painted, like the vehicle mode paint for instance, I shouldn't wash that side of the shell?

5. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try cleaning the part(s) you want to paint by brushing it with a wet toothbrush soaked in warm water and then use a canned air duster along with some toilet paper to dry it off completely.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're not going to paint a part, then the point is moot. The dish water process is only for removing the residue on plastic that can cause problems when paint is applied.