Heavy/Scratch: Question about Classics Jetfire

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by simified, Mar 17, 2012.

1. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm trying to remove the wings on my Classics Jetfire, Henkei if you want to get technical. I removed the screws and the 2 pieces that sandwich the wings together are freakin glued. I've read before about how some people will soak parts in alcohol to disolve glue but I don't want to ruin the paint on this. Can anyone offer any advice? What I'm trying to do is to remove the wings and flip them like this...

Attached Files:

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Hey man, when I built that, I just cut behind the pins that were holding the wings in place. I noticed it was glued in pretty tight, so cutting was the easiest option for me. I cut the parts off that held the wings, then glued & added some sculpting putty to attach them to the boosters so that they folded up like that. I guarantee yours will look MUCH better if you can get those parts to come loose & just flip the wings. Alcohol can help break apart glue, but it will definitely remove some of the paint apps. Hope someone can chime in & help you out, man. I'd love to see how yours turns out (I scrapped mine for my Galvatron custom & a Super Megatron I'm planning out).

(and on a side note, I'm working to finish up your stuff, bro! Been crazy busy with work & junk around here, on top of your commissions & a couple of others I'm trying to wrap up. I'll get up with you soon when it's all done & share some shots before shipping out.)

3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

It's going to be tough man and alcohol WILL dissolve the paint. You are in my opinion, SOL unless you can pop that pin that holds them together. I also at one point like hXc said, had to cut around the pins even after trying several other methods that usually work, but failed on this particular figure.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I once did manage to get one apart but failed the a second time, be careful ..what i did?

Ok here goes.. I took a heat gun gradually heated/warmed is a better word in this case
    which makes the glue obviously in a transition state, then I took a razor blade and used it is a ultra thin wedge,...

So not that hard but no guarantee :( 

5. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ive heard of people soaking those locker magnet things in lighter fluid to unglue the RE magnet from the plastic.

But I dunno what negative effects lighter fluid has on the plastic. :S

6. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Lighter fluid will melt the plastic.

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :dunce :rip