Customs: Question about Citadel washes

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, Mar 4, 2009.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would it be a good idea to use these on a large flat and smooth surface? Or is this better for filling detail etching and panel lines?

I saw them at the New Game Workshop that just opened in a city near by, one depicted to give a silver to gold gradient effect on the display stand. I never used washes before so I have no clue if that is what it was insinuating or my clueless-ness getting the better of me.

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Citadel washes are good for covering small areas and bringing out detail sculpting, but I prefer Vallejo Transparents and Game Inks myself. The transparents are good for color changes and gradients while the inks can also be used as additives to colors.

3. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Game Workshop carries Vallejo don't they?

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, they try and support their brand and Citadel only. Have to buy online or find an independent warshop. The washes are really meant for highly detailed areas that have depth as the wash will help fill recesses and give you gradients and realism. Inks are the way to go in my opinion as well.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

agreed ink is better you have more control with it. its getting harder to find inks rather than washes though allot of people are buying into the marketing campaign of washes being better than ink.

in my opinion you can use inks on broad flat areas, but it would be an advanced technique where you dilute the ink with water. then flow it the way you want it requires a bit of babysitting until its dry and can be hit or miss.