Question about Car Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gil, Apr 12, 2006.

1. gil

gil Godmaster

Okay, this may be a little long

My insurance is up next month, and to renew it with Allstate, it's going to cost $793 for six months. I got a quote from Geico and the rep quoted me $224 for six months. The thing is, the rep asked if I got into any accidents in the past 5 years, and did not tell them about one. If I go with Geico, will they find out? And if they do will I be screwed and lose my insurance?

Anyway, let me tell you my "accident" history:

First Accident: 2-3 years ago, this lady sideswiped me. She hit me. but when the cops show, she said I hit her. No witnesses, so we got our insurance involved and because there was no way of proving who was telling the truth, Her insurance took care of her, and mines took care of my damage.

Second Accident: Last October or Novemeber. My car was parked on the street. I was in the house, nowhere near my car. Some guy hit it and ran away. No witnesses. I told my insurance, they paid for it. And my friggin insurance rate went up. From $450 for FULL coverage, to $793 for partial coverage (they're not paying for my car if it gets damaged).

Third Accident: 2 weeks ago. My car was parked at the same spot as the last time (In front of my girlfriends house) and the car get's hit again. But this time my alarm went off, and came running out to see the guy down the street running away. The bastards lived accross the street so I yelled at them, got the cops involved, and his insurance paid for my damages. I did not mention this to my insurance.

So, when I called the Geico rep, I told him about the second and third accident, but not the first. Should I mention it when he calls me back, or just don't mention it and see if they'll find out. $500 is a lot of money.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Its possible that they could find out. If they do, you might have to pay a little more.

I personally don't like Geico. I had them years ago. I had an accident where some guy opened his door when I passed him. Stopped to get gas one night, pulling up to the pump, the guy in front of me stopped and parked. I went around him to get to the pump, and when I did, he opened his door. I was almost completly past him, when he opened it. I still haven't figured out how he didn't see a large, green Jeep pass him. Only tore a chunk out of my back fender flare but messed up his door. Geico ended up paying for his car, but since I only had liability, they wouldn't pay for mine. I don't think Geico even tried to fight his insurace company. All they did was raise my rates. So I dropped them.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It is possible that they could find out later and raise your rates after you're already suckered into the plan I guess, but that being said, I wouldn't tell them at this point.

4. gil

gil Godmaster

I feel for you, Allstate raised mines too and I wasn't even in my car when it got damaged. It's trading one monster for another monster. It's just the Geico monster is alot cheeper then the Allstate monster. Anyway,

I finally figured it out on my last one. If it's the other guys fault, don't even let your insurance know. Have the other guy pay for everything. But instead of having your insurance fight for you, you gotta fight for yourself.

Can I ask what insurance you use? I'm still shopping.