Question about Captain America: Death/Rebirth

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ILoveDinobot, May 23, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I never thought about this before, because I had assumed that the 2 year span that Cap was dead in comics for us, was 2 years in the comic world/616 universe. But that can't be right because comic time is not equal to our time, obviously or characters would age quicker.

So my question is in the comic world how long was Steve dead for?

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I think these things are deliberately left fuzzy.

I would think about a 6 months or so. Agent 13 was supposed to be pregnant, wasn't she?, and wasn't that far along before she was captured by the Red Skull and Sin. Then there was another short ark before Steve Rogers returned.

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It'd be neat to see someone put together some kind of timeline of the Marvel Universe based on pregnancies. Full term ones are guaranteed to be 9 months. How many have there been? Sue Richards had two, Luke Cage has a baby now...

4. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    So that means everyone in Marvel has aged at least two years since the start of their comics.

5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well was it ever mentioned how long Tony was brain"dead" for?

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

The only semi-concrete time is that Spider-man is now an adult and started as a teenager. Though there is no definite period of time, I have heard 6 years. I figure though, it would be more like 10.

Steve's death would be 6 months tops. Even then I would say less.

Time doesn't exist is comics. On IFanboy, they make a good argument that anything that happens in the Marvel Universe would require a 36 hour day

7. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I know time is on a different scale. I was just curious if there was some kind of span for their universe of how long he was gone.

8. hthrun

Ebay:
    We'd also have to consider other non-overlapping pregnancies.
    How old are the Richards kids? I was thinking the older was around 11...

On a side note, I read on wikipedia that the Judge Dred comics take place in real time (in the future) and he's actually aged at a real world pace...

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  9. hthrun

Ebay:
    Interesting. How do they come to that conclusion? Is it kind of like how Peter Parker has had enough time to go to school, fight crime at night, and apparently get enough sleep most of the time?

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    There are actually a bunch of articles online about how the Marvel Universe timeline moves /sort of revolves around Franklin Richards. Interesting reads, which basically say that the Marvel Universe has aged about 8-10 years since it's start in the 60s. So yes that means the Marvel Universe has encountered countless alien invasions and world/universe shattering events in a span of about 8-10 years, they get one practically every month or so :D 

11. Wreckgar

Basically yes. It's like how Tony can run a multi-billion dollar business all day and still manage to fight crime on his own as Iron Man and work on the Avengers all during daylight.

Or how Wolverine can be on the Avengers, New Avengers, X-Men, X-Force, and still have solo adventures when he has to travel between Arizona, NYC, and San Fran.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Heck there is the age quandry of the power pack. They had franklin as a team mate(he was the same age), but now it shows most of them in their late teens or older. Yet in all the marvel age books they are the same age they were when franklin was a team mate, before he got quickly aged to a teenager(and member of the Fantastic force), then years later went back to being a child, then creating a ball that after the onslaught incident contained an entire universe, then he has a sister who went from being a baby to being either two or five(in the span of 12 to 20 issues)(they never say how old val is) This is of course after another teenage val showed up before this current val and.........my brain hurts I'm going to stop trying to figure out Marvel's time line, I'm sorry to say, but at this point DC's makes more sense to me. And it's very iffy at best.

13. Wreckgar

Reading that made my head hurt.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Actually Franklin was much younger in the power pack comics, he was maybe 4-5, I'd guess, but yeah, given that some of his powerpack teammates have been portrayed as late teens already, should make him about 11-12, despite how comics portray him probably being 8 or so. Valeria is a continuity mess, the original Val, died during pregnancy, but later, revealed during the late 90s that she survives in another dimension, and returns as a future older Valeria to the team, and is later regressed to a fetus and reborn all over again! :wtf:  this is the Val we now know today.

This is why regular people give strange looks when they hear this kind of discussion :p 

15. hthrun

Ebay:
    This all reminds me of some of the jokes the Simpsons have made about their timeline. In one episode they were going to visit a new restaurant, but Homer said, "Let's come back in 6 months." Then at the bottom of the screen it said "6 moths later" and they were all in the car, on the way to the restaurant, talking about all the different things they did in just 6 months.

And then there was the flashback episode where Homer was talking about high school, "Back in the 60's... or was it the 70's?... Maybe it was the 80's..."