Question about Botcon 2012 Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lildevilchick, Apr 30, 2012.

1. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I'm assuming this is the right place for this thread, but if not then can a mod please move it?

Okay, I have a question regarding the 2012 Botcon toys. There are a couple figures that I have my eye on, but the prices seem a little high right now. Is this just because the demand for the figures is so great? I intend to possibly purchase the 2 or 3 figures I want off eBay, but I was curious to know if the amount the figures are currently selling for will go down. Should I wait a couple weeks to get the figures I want, or will the prices actually increase and should I just get them now?

2. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    I wouldn't expect to see ay of there prices go down before they sell out.
    They are, after all, limited in number to begin with, and will not be re-issued.
    Check with BBTS and other online sources before commiting to ebay.
    Don't wait too long.
    Once these guys are gone, they're gone.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm interested in G2 SG Prime and Kick-Over, but not liking the prices they go for... Really wish I knew someone attending the convention because the current ebay, b/s/t, and online retailer prices are a bit much...

4. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Well, BBTS/TFSource are sold out of the Prime/Kickoffset which retailed for 180-185 and Prime is going for 110+

I was lucky enough to get that set for 159, so if he's one you want, get him now because he'll skyrocket in value once that Tanker comes out. I can't vouch for the others though.

5. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    There seems to be some suggestion that prices on Botcon exclusives taper off for a little while after a few weeks.

But for the most part, those prices probably aren't going to shit much.

6. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    I can surley say Prime's price point will only increase with the others staying about the same.

7. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    I typed "shit" instead of shift. D'oh.

Whilst most of them aren't for me, i thought some of the non-box set exclusives were pretty good this year.

Aside form Prime, i think the Junkions might pick up too?

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prices on Botcon figures are usually high the weekend of the con and start to decline a bit back towards the realms of sanity in a week or two, once existing listing have ended and people calm down. It's rare that a Botcon figure becomes truly hard to acquire; I think the SG Rodimus and pre-BW Megatron are the only ones that really went ballistic on the after market.

If you're concerned about penny pinching, then wait a few days. If a difference of ~$20 isn't too big a deal, then jump right in.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    This.

People get caught up in the fervor of the weekend and prices are always sky high. They'll come down a bit now that Botcon is over.

Also, not everyone wants to list their figure from the con; many people will list them when they get back home.

10. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your best bet is to just keep an eye on them, watch some auctions and be ready to jump on one that looks good.

That being said, you aren't going to save that much, $20-30 at most.

11. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Hard to say...these are very popular...I was able to score what I wanted for what I think were good prices...BTW I got all mines cheaper than BBTS and TFSource...

12. lildevilchick

Thanks for the answers, guys. For the moment, I'll just keep an eye on auctions and see if I can't get a good deal.

Also, is it a guaranteed thing that the Optimus Prime figure will go up? Some people have said it will. If that's the case, then I may just shell out the cash for both him and Kick-Off, even though Kick-off is the only one I really want from the set.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No guarantees but I would not be surprised. You can't hold that thing in your hand and not be blown away. I thought that would be trade fodder when it was first announced, now I think I'd only sell it for medical bills.

14. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Guaranteed? No.

Probable? Somewhat.

This SG Optimus is (in a lot of people's opinions) a poor substitute for the 2008 version, but at the moment, it's a lot more affordable, less rare,* and easier to get (especially now, when a bunch of people are trying to sell theirs).

* According to G.B. Blackrock's data sheet, there were 1,150 of the 2008 version sold (900 boxsets + 250 bagged sets) and 2,000 of the 2012 version sold.

15. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I'm actually curious about that "poor substitute" opinion. Does the 2008 version have that brushed metal paint everywhere? I guess a lot of people don't like this mold.

16. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

I don't have my 2012 in hand yet, and it's been a while since I looked at my 2008.

I just remember the 2012 version being discussed as a downgrade as far as size and "mold desirability" are concerned. (And as an annoyance to those who like SG, already have the 2008 version of OP, and would prefer to get a different character instead of a repeat.)

17. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Well I thought that before I got my figure (I don't have '08 though). However the figure is COVERED with paint and really exudes personality. And then that mold actually looks like the most evil thing in the world, that is also an Optimus Prime.

Oh, and that movie-Prime-homaging-sword seems to fit even better with a character who actually does rip off faces. :lol 

18. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Also keep an eye on tfw's Junkion Exchange. Sometimes the prices are better than eBay's...

19. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
  20. lildevilchick