Question about being a completeist.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by vector, May 22, 2007.

1. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Leaving out the, yet to be released Alt./BT's, I consider myself to be an Alt./BT completeist. I'm also coming from behind on the BT's (Don't Laugh....I only need one more). My Question is this. There are Alts. and BT's that are identical,....should one collect both versions to be a completist?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

This is complete personal preference. Some will think yes, some will think no. I say buy what makes you personally satisfied.

3. IOIIOOO

IOIIOOO Botographer to the Stars

I have a bad habit of being a completionist once I start a collection... with Alts/BT, though, I tend to view either/or as acceptable. For example, I have a BT Hound, and as such feel no need to buy an Alternators Hound.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no. kinda wonky if you mix em tho.

5. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Well the reason I ask is that, aside from the unreleased items and the white BT-08 Miester, I have all of both. But I was considering using the Alts. that I have BT doubles of, for repaints.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

It's all in the semantics. If you really want to be able to call yourself an Alternators/Binaltech Completist, then yeah, by definition you should have one of each figure from both lines, including variants yada yada yada. Just 'cause that's what "complete" indicates.

But I bet most of us don't do that. Most of us are probably more along the lines of "character completist" or "mold completist."

Me personally, I guess I'm a character completist and a bit of a paintjob completist. I only bother collecting the duplicate Alts. that are significantly different than their BT counterparts (or what I consider to be significantly different, which is of course open to interpretation). So no Alt. Hound or Alt. Overdr--- er, Windcharger for me. And I just bashed my Alt. Grimlock into Reprolabels Siren, 'cause I figured I didn't need two more or less identical Grimlocks.

But like most things, it's all in the fine print. So you could probably call yourself a completist, and if anyone has the gall to argue that point with you (which would be kind of ridiculous, IMO), you can just clarify by saying you're a completist as far as characters, molds, paintjobs, whatever.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Nope. Best only to get those not in the 1 line and vice versa. Otherwise, an emptier wallet and frustration will likely be the result.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I'm an Alt completist but I never bought a single BT. And by completist, I only mean the figures themselves, not variations like bubble box Prowl, etc

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like both Alts and BTs. However my collection is mostly BT. Just personal preference.

10. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I have all the Alts, I wouldn't mind having a complete set of MISB BT's for display.

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have all the Alternators, but if I could afford it I would have gotten the japanese-exclusive BinalTechs and Kiss Players figures. I generally view it as getting the characters, not every version possible, to be a completist. I have no interest in blue Prowl, red Meister, yellow Tracks, or any of the Smokescreen variants. But if I can get my hands on Autolooper, Broadblast, and Alert, then I'd call the collection complete.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    If there are variants, I would get both. Like the blue prowl variant and the tracks variant. I would also get the exclusives, such as the red alert exclusive to the binaltechs.

13. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    So how would BT-17 fit in??

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Nah, unless you're hardcore.

Used to be a basic completist, but I think all this movie stuff is going to stop that.
    There's just so much miscellanous TF stuff coming our way that's not toys, don't feel like tracking it all down. All about the movie figs though.

15. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I have every BT but only exclusives for alts. I don't consider myself and alt completionist.

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have all the Alts that are released. I even have KP Autorooper, and Hot Rodimus.

I do consider myself a completist...my thing is, if its made of plastic, I'll get it if its substantially different.

This is why I did not get KP Convoy, it just wasnt enough of a difference to justify getting him.

I think the BT's are cool, but I dont need another habit :redface2: 

17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I don't even have all the Alternators, but I have at least one of each mold. I also have the 3 Kiss figures, and am considering getting the BTAs. If I were to get regular Binaltech figs, I'd just get the repaints that didn't exist as alts.

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have all BTS ( not counting repaints like red jazz, yellow tracks etc etc. ) I have all BTA, I refusee to pay 50 for a japanese alt that dosent have die cast. So in general I have all Alt with die cast , except BT-17 but that is outrages pricing.

19. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

What about being a completist when you purchase the same toy in different packaging?

Blue Tracks - red box & fish bowl packaging
    Meister - red box & fish bowl packaging
    Prowl - red box & fish bowl packgaing
    Ravage v2 - european box & american box

Then you've just gone crazy. Luckily I didn't go that crazy.

20. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

A completeist you say?

Please tell me you have gotten laid