Question about Beast wars in the UK

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by prime is a legend, Mar 12, 2009.

1. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

Yo all, i've got a question maybe a few of you guys could anwser. I was thinking about the beast wars toyline and how it was in the UK.

When beast wars came out i was around 8-9 and loved the toyline, used to buy them whenever i had the money and such. However whilst looking through my collection of the toys (some bust up from years of fighting) i realised that a few figures I saw on the back of packages or on the show never appeared in the UK.

A few i can think of the top of my head:
    • Wolffang
    • Tigertron
    • Grimlock
    • Blackarachnia

we also missed out on a load of the transmetal 2 toys from what i remember and i only saw T2 Megatron and Tigerhawk once in the shops.

so does anyone know why this was, was there ever a reason or was it just Hasbro UK messing up as usual? and are there any more you can think of that never came out.

2. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    I remember this well. I think it was more a case of Hasbro UK not being as up to the task of getting the toys on the shelves as they should be. I had huge trouble with BW Inferno. I ordered him through a catalogue and kept getting letters telling me their allocation of the stock was yet to be shipped. This was maybe 1997 or 1998.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    We never get everything America gets. Thats just standard. Be it in the eighties, nineties or now.

4. prime is a legend

For some reason though, i can remember there being loads of Inferno and scavenger out around that time. I can remember loads of snappers, insecticons and cybersharks being on the shelves, loads of non show characters not being bought.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    We got Transmetal 2 Dinobot, Cheetor, Ramulus and Cybershark at the very least.

In fact, I clearly remember going into Woolies as a kid and buying Dinobot and seeing row upon row of Cheetors.

I know TM2 Scarem, Sonar and Optimus Minor got released through places like Poundstretcher at the very least, having bought all 3 there myself.
    Likewise with the original Mega class toys.
    I got Scorponok, Inferno, Transquito and Polar Claw from Poundstretcher for £10 each.

I think we got the basics from the first few waves late too.
    I remember getting Rattrap and Terrorsaur from Woolies.

I'll say this much, we got a much better selection of Beast Wars stuff than we have in recent years. Way better than some, like the Cybertron line, where we missed about 6+ core characters because someone at Hasbro UK is a moron.

Oh man, major nostalgia bombs going off here. Those were the days, up early to watch Beast Wars on GMTV with Mister Motivator.

6. prime is a legend

Haha Mr motivator... what a guy.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think for the most part we missed out on many of the repaints. And of course the end of the BW line didn't much show up here, which these days is nothing new for a UK TF line.

8. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I used to watch Beast Wars on C5's Milkshake too.

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I watched it all again when it was repeated on channel 5

As a kid I remember seeing most of the toys but then this was before I knew their were toys that we never got. but one I never recall seeing was the Tripedicus agent but then that might just be my patchy memory

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Tripredacus Agent was a store exclusive so he was right out. Same with all the Wal-Mart / Fox Kids repaints.

Beast Wars was actually pretty good for releases - most of the non-repainted ones from the first two years came out here. I think Wolfang did actually come out, right at the very start of the line. Blackarachnia, Tigatron, Buzzsaw and Grimlock, all the repaints basically, never saw a release.

Transmetals and Fuzors, we got them all.

Transmetal IIs all came out here eventually in one shape or form, with the exception I never managed to get the later Basics, Stinkbomb, Spittor and Nightglider. Never found them. The later TM2 Deluxes turned up in TRU, at clearance. The Leaders were available on The Entertainer. (Come to think, never got Blackarachnia as a TM2 here either).

We were about a year behind with most of the line, I think. I know I got an imported TM2 Megatron from a collector's fair about a year before he was on shelves here.

Pretty amazing we did so well, actually, considering the show at the time was consigned to only ever be shown on bank holidays, cut to pieces, out of sequence and with episodes (and the entire third season) skipped over completely. Even the VHS releases were pretty weak, since they omitted Aftermath and Optimal Situation since the former was packed in with a repainted basic, and the latter was a Woolworths exclusive with £20 or more purchase of Transformers toys.

Yes, you read that right. The third season pilot episode was a store exclusive! Don't that just beat all?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a fox kids rattrap in I think a EU packing in some place so I think we did get one or two but then RT was a show character.

I think Channel 5 shown all of season 3 and they did a good job to keep it all in order as well. its a shame beast machines never really got much love I dont recall ever seeing it on TV

12. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, Channel 5 did show it, but long after the line was well and truly done I believe.

Beast Machines was shown on Fox Kids. I think it was on at like 5:00 pm in the evening or something for about two months. But yeah, the show royally got shafted even though we had a complete series shown, it had little advertising and was not on long enough to be seen.

13. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ah Fox kids that would be why I never seen it back in the day I don't think we had that channel.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    They were certainly available at some point. I think I got mine from Woolies. Stinkbomb and Spittor anyway

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    To my knowledge, we never got:
    -late repaints(Fox Kids repaints, Tripredacus Agent)
    -Wolfang
    -Tigatron
    -Blackarachnia (original Deluxe)
    -Grimlock
    -Buzzsaw
    Something that should be noted about those is that they are all repaints of figures we did get (K-9, Cheetor, Tarantulas, Dinobot, Waspinator).
    We did indeed get all the Fuzors, TMs & TM2s, although as Sol Fury said TM2 Spittor, Stinkbomb and Nightglider were VERY hard to find indeed. I didn't manage to get them until last Botcon.

Sol, TM2 Blackarachnia did turn up over here; she was pretty hard to find at the time, then some mysteriously turned up a year or 2 later at various TRUs around the country, discounted to £2.95. I know a couple of people who got them. This also happened with TM Optimus Primal, oddly enough, although the TM2 Blackarachnias had Chinese stickers on the box.
    Incidentally, many late Beast Machines toys (Hammerstrike, Tank Drone, Cycle Drone, Primal Prime, and a couple of others) also appeared with Chinese packaging in TRUs over here.

Strangely, we also got 2 differently packaged Basic Spittors; Maximal & Predacon. Quite odd.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember that Primal Prime showed up in Woolies with the Chinese logo sticker for 20 quid a piece. That had stacks of 'em.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The price rapidly dropped as well; I scored mine (and one for a friend) for £5 each, and they hadn't been there long.

18. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, you got those last three TM2s last year too? That was around about the time I accidentally finished off my Beast Wars set. Accidentally because I wasn't planning to get them all, I just suddenly realised when I got home and took them all out that in fact I had all of them but Grimlock in one form or another (my Blackarachnia is the Telemocha reissue but she looks so very nice :) )

I never knew TM2 BA made it out over here, though I remember the Beast Machines thing. I got a whole bunch of them that way. Very weird. But I got my BM Blackarachnia and Thrust that way back in 2001 - 2. Good times.

Spittor was an odd one, I think the blue one was a Maximal but the red repaint reverted to being a Predacon? Or was there the blue one also a Predacon here? I only remember seeing the blue version as a Maximal.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup, picked them up from Funkatron. :) 
    Nope, they were both blue.

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Huh thats wierd. I'm pretty sure I saw Blackarachnia, Tigatron and Wolfang over here. And TM2 Blackarchnia was definitely released here. They were available at CBS (i think thats the name) at a very low price and still kicking myself for not getting it.