Question about Batman

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ILoveDinobot, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Does Batman in any series ever break a bone or get sick? I been looking through some Batman comics and I realized this guy gets thrown into brick walls, he makes a noise of discomfort and gets up, maybe reaches for his shoulder, but besides that is totally fine. I could see that if he wasn't a mortal born on Earth, maybe he wouldn't break so easily. But I was just curious if anyone could think of an instance where Batman was seriously injured.

2. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Knightfall. Read Knightfall.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Bane broke his back.

There have been rare instances where he has had broken bones or been sick but it doesn't affect his stories. Usually at the end of a story, you see him with a cast on an arm after the criminal is caught and he's ressting in the cave.

As for being sick, there was only one instance i know of, from the Animated Series. He has a cold and goes to fight Mr Freeze and ends up beating him by breaking his containment suit with a thermos of chicken soup that Alfred gives him.

But Batman's suit is made of Kevlar and high density materials to absorb impact. Pretty much how the R&D department of Wayne Enterprises helps him so much. That's why he can take a beating and come away only mildly injured.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Also, its because he's the goddamn Batman.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

That too

6. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Wow, I wonder why I never heard of that before. Thanks!

:lol  :lol 

Thanks for that explaination, makes sense.

Of course :D 

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    QFT!!!

Batman doesn't need to be an alien from space to survive a fight (yeah, I'm not a big fan of Superpuss :D )

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was another story called Blind justice where he was shot a Bruce Wayne and was in a wheelchair for a while. It was in Detective Comics issues 598-600.
    And in Kingdom Come, his body is so worn out by the years of abouse, he needs to wear metal braces all over.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Sometimes it depends on who writes him.

Miller wrote him getting the crap beat out of him in Year One and Dark Knight Returns.

I remember Loeb desribing batman in a fight where he feels his hand breaking, I think it was in Hush.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I like Batman, but I'm not a fan of the version that is infallible. The one that is always right, never makes mistakes, never gets hurt, is always prepared for every single possible development, no matter how absurd, and is a batarang's throw away from victory. I know he's supposed to be in incredible shape, has a brilliant mind and amazing physical skills, but he's still human and therefore capable of making mistakes and being wrong. People complain about having trouble relating to Superman because he's invulnerable and all that, but Batman is easily written the same way, and I can't relate.

Show me a Batman that gets injured or makes a mistake every now and then, but still manages to overcome all that and catch the bad guy and maybe I'll be interested.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

In the very beginning of Hush he falls off a building or something, breaks several bones, bruised all over, and gets knocked out. Alfred covers it up by staging a scene to look like Bruce crashed his Porsche or something.

And yeah, there's Knightfall. Bane pretty much sets up Batman to become as weak as possible, then goes and breaks his back.

I just think that writers tend to neglect writing about Bats becoming physically impaired in any way, because Bruce is just the type who would just fight through it anyway. And because he's such a psychological character, you write stories that mess with him psychologically. Bruce is a smart, analytical character. The physical aspect of what he does is secondary.

12. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

Iron Shirt (traditional Chinese: 鐵衫; simplified Chinese: 铁衫; pinyin: tiě shān; Cantonese: tit1 saam3) is a form of hard style martial art exercise for protecting the human body from impacts in a fight. Some martial arts are based on the idea that a correctly trained body can withstand more damage than one that is untrained. Iron Shirt is said to be a series of exercises using many post stances, herbs, qigong and body movements to cause the body's natural energy (qi) to reinforce its structural strength. Practitioners believe that directing energy to parts of the body can reinforce these parts of the body to take blows against them. In the Shaolin version of Iron Shirt, the practitioner would do things such as lying on a stump or supporting tablets of granite on the chest with the goal of toughening the body.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'll say this much: after years of martial arts training and the level of sparring that we do (full impact, no pads or protective gear save for the optional cup), my body just does not bruise anymore.

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

*Grabs lead piping*

We're gonna have fun with this thing.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

He was deep fried recently

16. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    :peoples:  That sounds gruesome. Where was that, if it was a comic I want to make sure not to read it :lol .

17. wallabysheila

wallabysheila Banned

Do you guys think Batman wears a cup? I bet its some fancy schmancy WayneTech cup too, like, they test it with explosives and stuff. That'd be awesome.

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Final Crisis #6.

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I can't say I'm big on Batman comics, but I do know he gets beat up in many of them.

However, I do know Batman animation, and through-out TAS and even some parts of JL/JL:U, Bat's takes a beating. Especially in the TDK prequel movie Gotham Knights, it shows Bat's gettin the crap kicked out of him, but still fighting on, even showing flash-backs of his training in a martial art similar to what Wingwolf mentioned.

When push comes to shove, it all comes back to Batman's sheer force of will. The ability to fight through and ignore any pain, to accomplish his goal. Something that, while rare, is a very human trait.

20. wallabysheila

wallabysheila Banned

The thing about Batman getting hurt is not so much the severity. Rather it's about how much he manage to conceal it. It's all part of his mystique and all that. He just wants the baddies to think he has retard strength.