Question about Avengers/Invaders and... Thor?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tikgnat, May 3, 2012.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So here's the thing. Avengers Assembled is out in the cinemas, and discount book shops are stocking Marvel TPBs for cheap. So far so good, I picked up three Avengers related books that realistically I would never have picked up previously.

One of those was Avengers/Invaders, which a pretty cool book and basically showed Bucky as much more than a teenage sidekick, in the story he's pretty darn badass. But here's the thing. Spoilers I guess.

At the end of the book, The Red Skull has a Cosmic Cube and is using it in the 1940's, and calls upon a heap of Nazi villains to combat the combined ranks of the Avengers and Invaders, and in amongst them, raining lightning down upon our heros... is Thor?

And not some previous/alternate version of Thor, but Goldilocks Thor down to his circular ab decoration. He doesn't say anything, but Iron Man comments on his presence and it turns out the Invaders have battled him before, with Thor as the villain...

How is this the case? Maybe the climax battle could be explained as 'Cosmic Cube jiggery pokery' but its established Thor was on the Axis powers side previously. How is it then that when Cap is revived in the 60's in the Avengers Sub, he doesn't go nuts at seeing Thor and thinking its a Nazi plot?
    Or is this just a massive Mjolnir shaped hole that I should just ignore and enjoy all the pretty colours?

I dunno. I can't get my head around it.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It was Thor, and has been established several times that the Nazis have been trying to gain access to Asgardian power (via artifacts such as the Spear of Destiny etc). I think Cap's non-reaction to Thor is basically since he just came back, his memory was pretty spotty. I think that was the explanation they used as to why he didn't recognize Namor (who the Avengers faced as a villain along with the Hulk), who was his long time ally in the war. At that point Namor himself also had just regained his memory after a long time as an amnesiac homeless man.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oooh, amnesia, that old chestnut. But surely finding Asgardian artifacts and controlling the son of Odin are totally different things...

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Ah, if I recall correctly,
    Hitler tricked Thor into fighting for them after using an artifact to summon him the first time around. As for the appearance in Avengers/Invaders, probably could chalk that up to the Cube either creating a duplicate Thor or mind controlling a past Thor.