Question about animated movie/series theme

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lion, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    I was working out today, listening to my headphones....transformers theme comes on, and it hit me "autobots WAGE their battle TO DESTROY the evil forces...." They are good guys, do good guys wage wars? Do they destroy? I don't want to get into a big discussion about why one would wage a war...but being more kid friendly, shouldn't it be something like " autobots will defend us from the evil forces...."
    Possibly to much time on my hands today...would a remake be re-written to better "PC-up" the song?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    No. It's fine the way it is.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Please, no.

Even before the PC era, 80s cartoons still had to deal with FCC regulations regarding violence in children's programming. In the case of the TF theme song, you're talking about robots -- good robots trying to destroy the forces of evil robots, and the setup for the whole series is that they had been engaged in war for eons. And whichever side won the war would determine who ruled Cybertron. The Autobots weren't out to "defend" their homeworld, they had to prevent the Decepticons from wiping them out. In other words, it was destroy the Decepticons or be destroyed by them.

It wasn't until after they crashed on earth that the Autobots had to switch to a defensive position and protect earth's inhabitants.

On a related note, here's some TF trivia for you: the line from the theme song -- "Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons" -- was supposed to have been a spoken voiceover (similar to the one in the G.I. Joe theme), but the composer Anne Bryant misread it as lyrics and put music to it. Source: Retro Music Site

4. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    If anyone tries to rewrite it, Ill cut their hands off -_-