Question about animated and classics toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by ActionMasterZod, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both toy lines were made in america right?
    And these are looking up to be some of the best TF lines in a good while (classics were amazing and animated looks to be great to).

Well is the reason these line are so is because they were made in ameraca and not japan?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I can be such a noob sometimes.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are great just because they were made in America, but more along the lines of the people working on the lines, and the fact that a good amount of them are actual TF fans to begin with.

Edit: Valkysas & Sol Fury have good points. Also, I think Classics did really good because it didn't have a show that it was based on, and didn't have any gimmicks that would need to be incorporated into it at all.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    like most TFs, they were designed by BOTH hasbo and takara.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's no difference to past lines. Hasbro has taken the lead for a long while now, with Takara doing the engineering I understand. That's why Hasbro's assortments always have more releases like Armorhide, Sharkticon or the Armada Beast Wars retools. Hasbro's actually designing the toys, and Takara are just picking what they want to release.

It's all a partnership, even with Classics which hasn't been released in Japan yet and Animated which honestly we don't know about. What it is mostly down to is the design team have refined their skills and made some real advances over the last few years, to the point they can offer some truly amazing stuff.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The general idea for most TF toys/lines Hasbro puts out is that Hasbro and Takara do the conceptual design work (how collaborative that step is may depend on whether or not Takara plans to release the toy in Japan), Takara handles the majority of the hard engineering to build/sculpt the toy according to specifications, Hasbro designs the color schemes and paint apps for production, and then Takara tweaks and adds apps for the Japanese release so people will say they are better at everything. :) 

There are a few TF toys out there rumored to be designed/engineered with less or even no input from the the Takara half, such as (bear in mind Nevermore may well pop in and correct all of this - hopefully):
    Energon Grimlock and Swoop
    Energon Kicker and High Wire
    Star Wars Transformers
    Titanium 6-inch Transformers
    somewhere between some and all non-transforming or non-robot TF toys.

6. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

It's also amusing to see the reverse is also true, with some Classic toy designs being almost entirely designed by Takara (even though the line was planned for the US only).

7. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I was at botcon this year and I'm pretty sure the guy that designed Classics Starscream was an Asian guy in his late 20's/early 30's from TakaraTommy. That guy is the reason the toys keep getting better, he was an actual fan w/ the talent and drive to find himself in a position to bring life to something he is truely passionate about. I walked up to him and thanked him for his work and let him know I appreciated what he had done for me as a fan. It was cool, though he could not hardly speak english he totaly got what I was trying to say and he appreciated that a lot. Did anyone els go to BC and remember that guy?

Anyway people like us that grew up w/ Transformers are behind the wheel as well as the naturally occurring advances in technology are whats powering this surge in production of our wonderfully toys.

8. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    now if only the toys were die cast again.... *sigh*

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

No! No more fricken diecast!

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Die cast is cool, when it's done right. I just hate the hard plastic wheels. I wish they'd start putting on seperate tires made of soft vinyl.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They tried that. The line was called Titanium and most of the toys were overly simplistic due to the heavy weight of the material. They didn't sell well and the line was canceled because no store wanted to stock it anymore.

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Which was a shame because there were a lot more good toys than bad, but the first wave set the tone for the rest of the line, so whatcha gonna do?:banghead: 

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Classics was an awesome line. Animated is a joke thats not funny at all.

14. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    I have original Sunstreaker, Prime, and Starscream that I got back in 1985, and they still are in fantastic condition. Diecasts last forever. These current plastic pieces of junk just don't last long.... even just sitting on a shelf they fall apart!

Heh.

15. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Some classics were f-ugly.... Nerfgun Megatron was a joke so bad it made Leno seem funny in comparison. Grimlock looked stupid both in Dino and Robo mode.

The animated series is too early to tell if it sucks or not. I think the Starscream prototype pics looked cool. Transformers needs an edgy makeover. The psudo-3D CGI of the last few cartoons looked reeeeeeeeally bad.

16. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Just goes to show... I really like my Classics Megatron and Grimlock is different, but not bad.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Takara is releasing Classics Fiugures next year so it will be in both America and Japan.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That's odd, the plastic TFs I have, dating back to some of the all-plastic G1 toys, are all in great condition. Never had any of them break on me (unless you count my G1 Gears, Windcharger, Brawn, and Hot Rod, but I was really young back then).

19. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

ah

Some one posted something like this a while back, after the "Chinese" scare, he said made in America not designed, none of the toys are made in America, they would be horrible pieces of junk.

Add on all the union labor costs and such and Transformers would be drastically expensive.

As far as the designs, it seems in Japan one person is responsible or credited, such as the Masterpiece Starscream designer and the guy who designed the large Yamato with working guns.

In America it seems to be more of a conglomerate effort, with a group of people working on a figure instead of just one.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yyyyyyeeahhhhh..... You must be owning them wrong. Only plastic toys that ever gave me any trouble at all were "gold plastic syndrome" ones

... and I like Classics Megatron, but dislike Grimlock