Question about alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JIMIVEGAS, Oct 14, 2011.

1. JIMIVEGAS

JIMIVEGAS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all, I need some decision making guidance.
    I have a choice to pick between prowl, wheeljack, mirage, jazz, shockwave, ricochet, deadend(japan version), hound, grimlock, and sideswipe. I don't have any idea about this line and it doesn't really appeal to me. It's just that I'm in the middle of a deal that will have 2 alternators included that I can choose from. I love the classics aesthetic so I'd like to know which would best fit my collection and taste. Who do you guys think the best alternator is out there? Thanks in advance.

2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get mirage.

Ive been told by very reputable guys on here, that that is one of the best TFs made.

Then you can trade me that for one of my classics you really want :p 

3. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Wheeljack and Shockwave

4. ALEXD3498

ALEXD3498 Godmaster

This.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Mirage is my favorite alternator mold, and his blue is beautiful.

6. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    jazz/shockwave(same mold) and mirage or hound.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    First off don't over pay on them. You should not pay over $20 for alternators.

Having said that, all Alternators need some work to be perfect, but once you do that work, they are damn near perfect. One think you didn't state is what you are looking for in your alternators?

If it is G1 accuracy, then go with Jazz, Prowl (need to head swap), Blue Streak and Hound.

If you don't care about G1 accuracy I also like Mirage quiet a bit.

I would stay away from Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Those molds blow the big one. Here are some pics I took for someone else to help you out with your decisions as well. A lot of these have reprolabels and custom arming parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JIMIVEGAS

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. So I'm thinking about getting mirage and shockwave. The seller is doing all his alternators for $20 each. Should I grab a third? Alucard77, the pics look awesome and it looks like I may need to grab a prowl and a jazz as well. Damn. Nobody has said aything about ricochet or japan version of deadend which I hear is diecast. Any of those good?

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    All Japanese figures are Diecast. Ricochet is the same mold as Silverstreak but in black. Deadend is the same mold as Sideswipe, which is garbage in my opinion.

By the way, the Prowl is actually a Red Alert with Reprolabels with a Prowl Head swap. Like I said they need work.

Tracks is also bad ass, haven't gotten around to him yet.

If he has a skids, let me know, I am actually looking for him myself.

I would just buy all his alts to be honest. It is that sick of a line. It is really nice and goes nice with MP Stuff:

[​IMG]

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really dig the car modes of Wheeljack and Grimlock (it's probably because I just bought myself a brand new Mustang XD). That said, the only BT/AT toy I ever owned was Meister/Jazz in red, and he was pretty decent. The diecast was a cool novelty at first but the paint does chip. Eventually ended up selling him on eBay, but I do want to pick up the non-diecast versions of Alternators Wheeljack and Grimlock sometime soon (mostly just to keep them in alt mode).

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ricochet is the one bot that started my newer tf collection, awesome figure

12. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

pick the cars you like the best and you won't be disappointed. forget alternators go for binaltechs.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    unless he wants to handle, pose, and transform them without worrying about weight issues, or painted die-cast parts chipping like mad. Then Alternators is fine. They can actually be played around with, and they're cheaper.

Then there's the whole thing where there isn't a proper, non-transparent BT Mirage, there's no Swerve, Decepticharge (stupid name, but great deco on him), and more importantly, molds that were never released in the BT line, like Rumble the second Ravage.

14. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Binaltech is a great line but it has ended,still miss those die cast cars but with Alternity, there is no way they will continue Binaltech line

15. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Grimlock & Shockwave.
    I recently picked up Prowl, Grimlock, Tracks, Jazz, & Decepticharge.. not for my collection, but to sell. I'm having a hard time not keeping Tracks, that is one beautiful figure. I'm really quite taken by all of them. Alternators in their own way were some of the best Transformers toys ever made.

16. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Mirage and either Shockwave, Jazz or Hound

the Prowl mold is a joke compared to most of the line, Grimlock/Wheeljack is a bit too fiddily, but i like the design and a lot of folks are somewhat "Meh" to the Sideswipe/Dead End mold (i like it, but it has it's flaws). The Bluestreak/Ricochet mold, despite being my favorite car, isn't as good as the Jazz/Shockwave mold while having the same basic transformation.

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Shockwave and Hound imo.

The Wheeljack/Grimlock mold is one of the most hideously obnoxious figures I've ever had the misfortune to transform.

18. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a little more clarification here.

The Japanese toys were called Binaltech (or BT), and the US ones were Alternators (or Alt).

Most of the Japenese were Diecast, but late in the line they switched over to plastic (although Prime is available as both). ALL of the Japanese toys have a full body paint job, and almost none of the US ones do.

Some people complain that the paint is prone to chipping and wear problems. But many of us have never had any such issues. It seems to boil down to the Japanese versions being poor choices for heavy play, but great display pieces that certainly can be transformed from time to time carefully without chipping.

Late in the lines US got some characters (original molds) japan never got, and Japan got some repaints as new characters the US never got.

Alternators (US) may still go for only $20. This surprises me, but if people say so they're probably right. Binaltech (Japan) will cost more.

IMHO Mirage was the best figure to come out of either line, and he was US only (except for a very expensive, rare clear plastic version). He's a must have.

Jazz/Shockwave was quite possibly the best engineered toy out of the line, but unfortunately the head/hand sculpts got much better later in the line.

My personal favorites are Mirage (US), Optimus Prime (Japan), Ravage (US Jaguar version), Rodimus (Japan version- Mirage repaint), Nemesis prime (US goes for $60-$100, Japanese is much rarer and goes for upwards of $800- you can guess which one I own).

19. JIMIVEGAS

News Credits:
    thanks for the info. I finally made the deal and ended up getting Shockwave which in my opinion looks pretty bad Ass. and also i got Mirage and he threw in a 3rd so i picked up hound for the g1 aesthetic. i wanted the figures that had robot modes that weren't too kibbley but more Robot looking. jazz prowl ricochet wheeljack decepticharge and the first version of ravage was there and i almost picked them up but they were all over my budget. oh well, baby steps in this line i guess. thanks again everyone.

20. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree,look so g1 & with articulation, such a big figure,can't be contented anymore.