Question about a technique

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi guys, recently i've heard on some of the youtube video reviews mentioning of putting some of the plastic parts under running hot water. Excuse my ignorance, but what does this do?, and does it work?. Is it for stress marks or warped pieces?, im at a loss.
    Again sorry if this is a stupid question, just wanted to know.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I don't know if they meant this, but hot water can temporarily make soft plastic (such as the one Bludgeon's sword is made of) very flexible, so you can make them straight again. I do this all the time with Vector Prime's soft plastic parts and banzaitron's small gun turret.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I prefer the freezer technique myself. Some plastics don't react well to the hot water in the long term. Additionally I've had a lot of success with the freezer.

Mostly it's for frozen joints that just won't move no matter what because of a factor like the figure was assembled when the paint was still drying, so the paint acts like glue. The temperature change causes the plastic to change size and with some gentle pressure the joint unfreezes.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the microwave is a method used by some star wars fans, it scared the crap out of me but I used it on a figure I didnt care about and it worked fine.

Hell around here some times just leaving the toy in the car for a couple of hours does the trick

5. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So its meant to help with soft plastic to shape it up to its original shaope after it has warped due to storage or heat?, and it also works for loose joints?, correct?, no....uhm im lost.

6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    There is a similar technique used for super tight joints on rubbery plastics (iron man 2 movie figures for example) where you run cool water over them, or put them in the freezer. it just breaks down whatever bond is holding the joints so tight.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Um... What about the screws and/or pins in TF figures? Metal + microwave = kaboom!